recently inherited these cast irons that are at least 40 years old. they were sitting in a cabinet for a few years and nasty with rust and crusty, old seasoning. i scrubbed the shit out of them with steel wool and lots of soap, then applied 4 coats of new seasoning! feel free to roast my seasoning, i have no idea if it’s good since it’s my first cast iron and would like to know.

for each coat of seasoning i just wiped the pan with peanut oil then set the oven at 435F for 20 minutes, then 460F for 10 minutes

ive been using only stainless steel for a couple months and im abt to give away my nonstick cookware. nonstick cookware is counter-revolutionary

• ZoomeristLeninist [comrade/them, she/her]@hexbear.netOPM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    2 months ago

it’s polymerized oil, not burned. it’s kept below the smoke point for 20 minutes, then brought slightly above the smoke point for 10. when it’s polymerized it acts as a nonstick coating. the polymer of the oil can take much higher temperatures than the oil itself. also, seasoning prevents rust

• CarbonScored [any]@hexbear.net
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      2 months ago

I certainly don’t understand the science, but fair enough. Reading about it leaves me feeling the topic is confused and conflicted.

As I say, not had any stick or rust issues without any seasoning anyway, maybe different humidity or something matters to make it important for others.

• Roonerino [they/them]@hexbear.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        2 months ago

Are you sure you haven’t just built up a seasoning layer by using it? Are you actually scrubbing it down to bare grey iron every time? Are you using actual steel wool and not just one of those brass/copper/chainmail kitchen scrubbers? Even then, I think you’d be hard pressed to get into all the pores of the iron if you’re not using a pretty intense degreaser. It’s probably more seasoned than you think.

But cast iron is almost indestructible so do whatever works for you.

• CarbonScored [any]@hexbear.net
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          2 months ago

I mean maybe? I definitely scrub it with real steel wool each time, but I do rarely use soap. I am also careful never to go past smoking point so I’m definitely not seasoning it as in the way people recommend.

If I am accidentally seasoning it, then even more argument that it’s not necessary for me to actually season them I guess. But I struggle to see how anyone wouldn’t be doing the same unless they’re never using oil to cook with.

• Roonerino [they/them]@hexbear.net
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            2 months ago

A good seasoning layer is nice to prevent sticking but the most important function of it, as far as I know, is just to keep a barrier between the iron and the air so you don’t get rust. If you’re not having problems with rust then I guess it doesn’t really matter. Worst case, you end up using a bit more oil to prevent sticking than you otherwise would need.