I was just chilling on a rooftop terrace in the Austrian alps when this little guy came to visit.

• ffmike@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t know whether I’m more jealous of the closeup sparrow sighting or the rooftop terrace in the alps!

• hardypart@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I notice that lots of photos posted to Lemmy are rotated by 90° and I’m wondering what the reason is, I doubt it’s coincidence.

Is it possible that you took the photo 90° rotated and corrected it afterwards? It seems to me like this correction is gone. If yes, how did you correct the orientation of the photo?

• blaise@champserver.net
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s because most phones don’t actually rotate the photo, they just add some meta-data that basically says “please rotate X degrees”. That data is often either stripped or ignored when posted online. The best way to deal with this is to open the image in an image editor on your phone and rotate it before submitting.

• Kevin Herrera@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

To add to this, the EXIF data is specifically what is stripped from the image during upload. EXIF data can have a lot of extra details about the image like what camera took it, what settings it used, and even precisely where the photo was taken. Stripping this data is done to protect users from accidentally leaking the GPS location (such as the location of their home).

• BeeriBeeri@beehaw.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I saw that it was rotated when I uploaded it, but in my Phone Gallery it isn’t. But when I tried to upload a pre rotated version to correct it it wouldn’t let me…