• WeAllKnowWhyWereHere@lemmynsfw.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Cool cool, well I’ll be back in scum class sitting straight up with my knees pressed into the seat in front of me for 10 hours with the other poors.

• Unaware7013@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

How did that get through the accounting department? Any org I’ve worked for spells out exactly how much they’ll cover/reimburse for travel expenses, and it’s not nearly that high.

• eran_morad@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          10 months ago

It’s just your standard, mundane corruption. Par for the course. That same cunt buys himself personal shit on the company dime, I’ve been told I am no longer to approve those purchases (fucking finally). He has to give us personal checks for that shit nowadays. There’s another cunt who does literally nothing and gets paid $320K/year, been that way for 10 years or so. Another guy “retired” back in 2014 and still gets paid > $120K/year. He’s on the books for 0.2 FTE and basically shows up once in a great while for a meeting or whatever the fuck. It’s all about status and elitism. And the fat fucks at the top not wanting to change the status quo. Why would they? They’re not the ones working for a living. And this is the reason that I do as little work as possible.

• Waldowal@lemmy.worldOP
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Had something similar at a public company I used to work for. When any C-level exec “retired”, an announcement would go out explaining they would “continue to graciously serve as a consultant for the company” - which always ended up being: We keep paying them exorbitant amounts to not work.

Meanwhile, I can’t get a $1k / year raise for a person on my team because “business is tight”.

• Chickenstalker@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

No billionaire or even tensmillionaire will fly first class if they can avoid it. They still have to breathe the same air as the cattle class. True rich people fly in private jets.

• Daqu@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I can’t imagine having so much money that I could fly first or business class. My last vacation cost 2500€ in economy for 3 people. Business would have been about 10000€ more. I’d have to save for months/years and live a worse life to save the money. Only for one day without discomfort.

Sometimes I feel like a really poor person. But I’m pretty well of if I look at the national average.

• pizza-bagel@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Yeah on our first trip after COVID I was like "we haven’t gone anywhere in a couple years, maybe I could spring for first class with my credit card points. NOPE

First class is on average 6x more. I thought it would be like double.

I’ve flown business class once for work when I was bumped up, but only for a 1 hour flight lol 😭

• Daqu@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

I just checked an Emirates flight to Singapore. Economy 1k, business 2.5k, first 8.5k.

People travelling in first are probably jealous of the people in private jets. And the people in private jets wonder how they could afford a bigger jet. As dad said: you can spend every billion only once.

• maporita@unilem.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I’ve heard people who say the same thing as you but they drive a $60,000 pick up which they replace every 3 years. My wife and I drive a 12 year old Honda Fit that suits us fine. We’d rather spend that money on flying in business class whenever we fly long haul. Your money, your choice. For us enjoying the actual travel part of the vacation is important - more important than driving a fancy car, so that’s where we put our money.

Also if you plan ahead and look for deals you can find business tickets that are only 2-3 times the price of economy. Still a big chunk of money but not outrageous.