The Grizzlies are sending 2023 and 2024 first-round picks to the Celtics, sources tell ESPN. Grizzlies are sending No. 25 on Thursday night and 2024 pick via Golden State for Smart.

• Barns@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Oh man, I trust Brad but this is a huge gamble. Smart is the heart & soul of the team and this will be a major shock to the locker room… The fans are going to absolutely hate the trade and will have very very little patience with Porzongis.

• RandAlThor@lemmy.caM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

It re-shapes the team. Running it back the same way wasn’t going to work. I like the shape up. Also ads a stretch 4 for them that changes their offensive dynamic. Smart is too inconsistent on offense and that definitely hurt them in the playoffs.

• LostMyRedditLogin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This trade is bananas. Why would Brad tear apart one of the strongest contending teams? KP is unproven in the playoffs while Smart is battle tested.

• TAG@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As a Celtics fan, I hope that the Lakers try to keep the same rotation. (I am joking)

Again, as a Celtics fan, I am not going to be too offend if the Celtics do blow it up. They got lucky during the last rebuild and only missed the playoffs one year. If this iteration doesn’t last, it would just be karmic justice.

• logaston@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

If I have all the details correct:

Grizzlies get Marcus Smart

Wizards get Tyus Jones, Gallinari, Muscala, Boston’s 35th pick

Boston gets Porzingis, Grizzlies 2023 1st round pick, and 2024 1st round pick (via Golden State)

• LilBagOfBunnies@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I don’t understand this trade at all…maybe it’ll make more sense in the next day or two, but it feels like Celtics traded away Smart for very little despite it being a good draft year.

• logaston@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

The Celtics didn’t have a 1st round draft pick this year so I don’t think the quality of the draft class factors much into it. But who knows? Maybe they’ll find a diamond in the rough with the Grizzlies 2023 and 2024 pick.

• atp2112@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

If the Muscala and Gallinari to DC rumor is true, did we really just trade KP and Beal for the 2019-20 Thunder?

• aquarisces@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m not a Celtics fan but I actually like this gamble on Porzingis for them. He had a great season and while the Celtics have been close I feel like after the loss to my Heat they did need to shake things up. I guess this means they’re keeping Brown? Also Smart to the Grizz means no more Dillon Brooks?

• Wize_Hed@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Feel like Smart was starting to fade a little, but he fits the Grizz really well (both in terms of culture and covering for the first part of the season with Ja out).

I like what the Celtics have done here… All comes down to whether Porzingis stays healthy

• b000urns@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Love this for the Grizz ❤️ We get a DPOY and leader who replaces Brooks in the starting lineup, and we ship out two late firsts we have zero need for and a small guard who never fit well next to Ja for someone who will be playing big time minutes. We basically filled two or three needs by bringing in one player. PLUS Smart is locked in to a very reasonable contract.

• smokinjoe@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

This breaks my heart. I wanted Smart to win a championship with the Celtics so badly.

I’m sure it’s probably the right move, but god damn I hate it.

• VodkaSolution @feddit.itM
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

you gotta give something good to have something good, so they sent away dpoy Smart to get…1 year of Porzingis???