• Cocodapuf@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    7 hours ago

I have anecdotal evidence that people get misinformation from tiktok.

My son in law (who unfortunately lives with us, but that’s another rant) was telling me about a third assassination plot against Donald Trump. He wanted to show me this tiktok with the news. I was able to inform him that these rumors weren’t accurate, and he quickly confirmed that.

But I only knew to question his assertion because i’d already seen news here on Lemmy that there were debunked rumors of another assassination plot. That is to say, Lemmy never pushed the tumor as news, but rather only reported about the already debunked rumors continuing to circulate. The disinformation continuing to spread was the interesting news on Lemmy.

• 299792458ms@lemmy.zip
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 day ago

TikTok Videos Spread Misinformation to New Migrant Community in New York City.

This is not news.

• technocrit@lemmy.dbzer0.com
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 day ago

TikTok Videos Spread Misinformation to New Migrant Community in New York City.

This is not news.

But any story that blames only TikTok is highly sus.

And yep here it is…

An industry of highly coordinated smuggling organizations are using social media apps like TikTok to promise seamless travel services…

• daniskarma@lemmy.dbzer0.com
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        24 hours ago

I have been without seeing tv news for many years now. I get my news in written format.

Everytime I stumble onto some video I don’t understand how people don’t understand all the million manipulations that are present in every single second of video.

Text is also manipulated but it is way easier to read over the manipulations, to fact check and to collect different sources of information.