• bastion@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 hours ago

I don’t have problems with murderers being killed. I just don’t have faith in the system to prevent false positives.

• halcyoncmdr@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      17 hours ago

Exactly. Like the execution just a few days ago of Marcellus Williams in Missouri. Where there was alleged bias in jury selection and contamination of the murder weapon prior to trial. Even the current State Prosecutors in the same office that convicted him were calling for it to be stopped. Only the Attorney General’s office wanted it to continue.

Or how about Khalil Divine Black Sun Allah a week ago in South Carolina. There was no forensic evidence, and video only showed two masked men. Where the only major evidence linking him to the crime was a witness testimony, which was provided only in exchange for leniency and later recanted stating that he had hidden the actual shooter’s identity fearing for his life, and that Allah hadn’t even been present. Again with the Attorney General’s office being the only ones insisting it be continued. Where prosecutors told the jurors they could convict him for murder simply if they believed he was present during the robbery, so the jury didn’t even have to find that he actually committed the murder.

That’s twice in a week that Southern Republican states have executed probably innocent men, at the insistence only of the State AG… Which is a very political position, regardless of what they may want to claim.

• InverseParallax@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        15 hours ago

So, personally I do not believe Southern states should be allowed any authority over criminal justice, and I suggest withdrawing their authority over civil matters as well.

It’s like gun rights, I think some people are capable of handing the responsibility properly, I would trust most New Hampshire residents with low-yield fuel-air bombs.

I wouldn’t trust southerners with pointy sticks, their entire history is of slavery, genocide, torture, and a complete lack of any form of civilized humanity.

We do not give guns to animals, we should not give legal authority to southern states period.

And this isn’t republican vs democrat, they were equally evil as dixiecrats enforcing Jim Crow, the Democrats were brilliant in following Civil Rights policies helping purge the dixiecrats from their ranks.

• InverseParallax@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      15 hours ago

I don’t either.

I just object to a categorical judgement that capital punishment is never an option.

It could theoretically be an option in the right circumstances, which we absolutely do not have anywhere near.