VOY 3x26: Scorpion Part 1

Is there some kind of Starfleet form I can sign to opt out of transporter hacks you “just came up with”?

• Agent641@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    24 minutes ago

Could I theoretically lock onto the poop in my lower intestine and the piss in my bladder and beam them out of myself so I don’t have to go to the toilet?

• Admiral Patrick@dubvee.orgOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      4 minutes ago

Lol, a few years ago on the alien site, I wrote a scene for The Orville as a “what if The Orville suddenly got transporters” That was basically the premise of it.

If there’s interest, and I can find it (I saved it to a text file somewhere before nuking my account), I can post it here.

• Rob T Firefly@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 hour ago

cut to the planet below, where there are three puddles of meat and clothes gurgling in pain and disappointment

• mojofrododojo@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    7 hours ago

whenever I see transporter memes, it reminds me that no one in starfleet needs to die. they could save and update your pattern. you’d only lose the away mission.

:|

• SkaveRat
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      5 hours ago

Pretty sure that’s explained in canon by being too compute and storage intensive. You can’t store a person’s pattern in any medium, apart from the buffer.

And in there it’s only very temporarily before breaking down (see scotty in the Dyson sphere or m’bengas kid)

• phx@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    17 hours ago

I always looked Galaxy Quest’s take on this:

“But the pig-beast is inside out… and now it has exploded.”

• TootSweet@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    19 hours ago

It was just like a clueless captain to say “energize” as if that’s going to magically make it work. Like, I’m trying to invent a whole new field of engineering here, Kathryn. Maybe step off a bit if you want them back in one piece.

• Torres (later to Vorik over a mug of something replicated and syntheholic)
  • Emotet@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    21 hours ago

Yeah, that’s one of those tropes I hate pretty much everywhere, but (old) Star Trek is great enough to look past it.

They are skilled and professional. But how incompetently was the playbook written, if pretty much everyone can come up with something previously not derived spontaneously, if it’s that easy?

• cynar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      21 hours ago

I generally view them as developmental or unreliable methods. A 20% risk of killing everyone involved is horrifying for a normal away mission return. However, the same risk for pulling a team away from imminent death is a lot more tolerable.

This also explains how they can implement them so quickly, it’s already buried in the codebase.

• schema@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      20 hours ago

IMO, it’s essentially the duality of techno babbling. In the hands of good writers it can enhance an already well written story.

In bad writing, it’s often used as a fluff drama element, sometimes even becoming deus ex machina.