• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The minimum Rust toolchain requirements will continue to be bumped until all of the necessary features are in place.

Meanwhile there are already patches floating on the kernel mailing list that in the future will bump it to Rust 1.72.

Some of the other Rust changes for this imminent merge window include supporting the rust-analyzer for out-of-tree kernel modules, the Rust availability detection script has been improved, a new “paste!”

proc macro, new pinned-init APIs, and a variety of other additions to continue to make Rust programming possibilities for the Linux kernel more robust.

So far no major Rust drivers have been submitted for inclusion to the mainline kernel but some remain in the works ike the Asahi Linux effort to provide a Rust-written Apple DRM kernel graphics driver.

The full list of Rust upgrades for Linux 6.6 can be found via this pull request.

The original article contains 252 words, the summary contains 145 words. Saved 42%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!