• Veraticus@lib.lgbt
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Both of these have been journalism then and now. Fluff pieces have existed since literally the earliest days of journalism. And obviously we have reporters still going to Afghanistan and Ukraine despite enormous risks to their own personal safety.

So… meh.

• dannoffs@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

But why aren’t journalists talking about [insert horrific event] I heard about from journalists? Journalism is dead.

• Holzkohlen@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Don’t forget journalism straight outta Moscow. One slip up and it’s to the gulag with you. Screw that, I’d rather be sitting at home writing clickbait bs.

• hh93@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

The problem is that too many people seem to want the clickbait stuff so it’s not really worth it for other than ethical reasons since the amount of people paying for journalism is too small these days

• captainlezbian@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

There are literally western journalists in prison in oppressive regimes right now because they were there reporting on things. Meanwhile back in the day there were journalists musing on how the radical MLK was going to destroy American society and oppress white people when he’s done burning cities down.

• hh93@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

How much money do you spend on journalism each month OP?

The right exists because people want everything for free (meaning with ads) so producing the stuff that generates the most clicks is what people get.

If you want investigative journalism you have to show that by paying for that

• starman2112@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Jamal Khashoggi was fucking butchered like an animal by the Saudi royal family for reporting in the middle east

Fuck you

• Nurgle@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Oh no journalists are all woke libtards now because some website you don’t like exists.

• Uniquitous@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Oh shit, I didn’t know Ron DeSantis had a Lemmy account! What’s up, meatball?

• DrownedAxolotl@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Come on now, just because someone is poking fun at woke culture doesn’t mean they’re Ron DeSantis (the guy who from my understanding wants to ban trans people and is persecuting gay people as well).

• arcrust@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I remember listening to a podcast from a NYT reporter near the start of the Russia/Ukraine war. This lady went to Russia and started interviewing draftees right outside of the recruitment offices.

May not be a war torn battlefield, but that definitely takes some balls.

• monk@lemmy.unboiled.info
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

Sounds like 1/10 of Petr Ruzavin to me:

Russian tanks: advance towards Kiyv
      Russian journalists: no longer welcome in Ukraine
      Petr Ruzavin: knows exactly where he needs to be
      Everybody: expects Kiyv to fall
      Police: frantically gathers all the resources they have to defend the city
      Also police: laughs together with Petr Ruzavin interviewing them

Kharkov region: liberated
      Petr Ruzavin: there and reporting

Kherson: liberated
      Petr Ruzavin: reporting and celebrating with Ukrainians

Kherson: flooded
      Reporting from a boat: Petr Ruzavin, of course

After the war is over, this guy needs a biopic and a statue. While he’s still alive, because I seriously doubt his mortality at this point.

• downpunxx@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I mean if you can get away with raking in 100k a year typing out listicles on why spongebob is homophobic, from home, in your underwear, between reruns of Suits, popping chips into your mouth, fuck, have at it

• Jamie@jamie.moe
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

There was a bunch of media flying around when I was a kid that SpongeBob was turning kids gay. So this meme is kinda close to reality.

• Holzkohlen@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Spongebob turned me gay, DnD made me a satanist, Counter Strike a school shooter.
      Back in the day people just read some Goethe and killed themselves. Those were the good times