• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

While Linux 6.5 is expected for release tomorrow, the flow of last minute fixes isn’t over.

Making the weekend pull request notable is that it has a fix for a performance regression due to a missing set of X86_FEATURE_OSXSAVE.

The patch addressing the issue explains that Intel’s 0-day testing of the Linux kernel uncovered a 34.6% performance regression.

The culprit comes down to missing a simple two lines of code for checking and setting X86_FEATURE_OSXSAVE earlier in the boot process.

Introducing the regression was the Linux 6.5 change for delaying x86 FPU initialization as part of cleaning up the boot process.

This 34.6% performance regression was uncovered by the stress-ng af-alg test case (exercising the AF_ALG socket domain) as a micro-benchmark but nevertheless at least this was at least spotted and fixes ahead of the likely Linux 6.5 stable debut tomorrow.

The original article contains 213 words, the summary contains 141 words. Saved 34%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!