After being canceled this year, the future of the expo looks bleak.

• Computerchairgeneral@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Shame. I have a lot of fond memories of watching past E3s, but then again it was only a matter of time after other companies began adopting the Nintendo Direct approach. It just makes more sense to pick your own date for a presentation and dominate the news cycle.

• grady77@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, especially the last few years E3 really felt more like fam service than anything else. Doesn’t make much sense from a corporate perspective, huge cost and probably not as much gain to offset it.

• GeekFTW@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah for a good decade round my house E3 was like Christmas 2: Electric Boogaloo when it came to counting down for it, watching all the conferences.

Sad to see it go, but as you said once Nintendo started with the Directs nothing else made sense.

• KyoStarr@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

E3 growing up was like having another Christmas to look forward to. Somewhat bittersweet that it’s effectively gone but E3 has an identity crisis it needs to resolve first.

E3 was started as an industry networking event but overtime morphed to be a consumer facing show as well. With pre-recorded presentations being the norm, the Big 3 don’t have any incentive to pay the ESA to have a space like that.

I think E3 needs to either revert back to an industry networking event or become a PAX-like consumer show.

• Omegan@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think the industry will be fine. The Big 3 have moved to (at least mostly) recorded events which - for now - outweighs any need for them to attend an in-person event. Industry members are using Summer Games Fest and other industry events like PAX to connect and give the public opportunities to play games.

• redsol2@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

As far as the wider world is concerned, there’s not much of a difference between a pre recorded event and a recording of a live event. We watched for the announcements, and those are going to come out with or without E3

• Digismasher@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I always miss watching G4’s coverage of E3, purely for nostalgia though now. Avoiding spoilers until I could watch it on my DVR proved challenging.

I understand as others have said there are better avenues to deliver big announcements, but it doesn’t mean I won’t miss it.