I’m still dialing it in, but at 11.36g in / 41.73g out, it was pretty good. Still not there, but closer than I thought on the first pull. I vaguely taste a fruit (apple maybe?) and some cacao. Not so much milk chocolate, as stated on the bag, and it’s a bit more acidic that I would expect from this roaster, but both of those points could be just it not being dialed in yet.

• Zammy95@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Almost a 1:4 ratio? That seems like a lot, but it’s strange that you’re saying it’s acidic at such a high ratio. Is this a light roast?

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pubOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It is, indeed, a light roast. I usually do around 1:2 with darker roasts, but I’ve noticed that the BBE does better with longer shots on light roasts. I tried 1:3 on the Blue Bottle, but 1:4 tasted so much less acidic, so I started with 1:4 on this light roast. I’m thinking pulling closer to 1:3.5 tomorrow morning, and go from there. I wouldn’t mind getting suggestions :)

• Zammy95@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’ve gone as far as 1:3, 1:4 just sounded like quite the stretch to me. I’m still fairly new to espresso, so by no means an expert! If it tastes good, you’re probably on the right track.

• PhreeDF@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I haven’t had Stumptown beans in forever, but they’re great. I’ve had Hair Bender & Founder’s Blend, both of which I would recommend. I haven’t tried Homestead yet. Do you adjust the temperature of the water at all when dialing in lighter roasts? I’ve heard higher temps can lead to better extraction for those.

• 𝕸𝖔𝖘𝖘@infosec.pubOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I wish I could, but the BBE has no such control. All I can do is let it heat up for longer, before pulling the shot. I’m hoping I can let it heat more tomorrow than the 10 minutes I had today.

I’ve had both of those roasts before and liked them, so I decided to try the homestead. It’s not as good, I don’t think, as the founder’s, but still good.

• nick@campfyre.nickwebster.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s generally harder to get as much nuance there with a dose that low. It might be worth trying to pull that shot as a double and see what it tastes like.