• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

With the in-development Linux 6.6 kernel adding support for more upcoming Radeon graphics processors, that means more auto-generated header files for the new IP blocks…

In particular, the drivers/gpu/drm/amd/ area that contains the modern code around the AMDGPU DRM driver with AMDKFD compute, display code, common header files, etc (but not counting the older “Radeon” driver in drivers/gpu/drm/radeon/).

This open-source AMD Linux kernel graphics driver amounts to more than 5 million lines: 2173 text files.

These verbose header files has been AMD’s alternative to creating exhaustive public documentation on their GPUs that they were once known for.

Or the Intel i915 DRM kernel graphics driver is around 381k lines via the same cloc judgment.

The entire Linux kernel source tree as of this morning comes in at around 34.8 million lines, including the documentation, various in-tree utilities/tools, other helpers, etc.

The original article contains 349 words, the summary contains 140 words. Saved 60%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!