Just sharing a cozy moment.

• Marduk@hammerdown.0fucks.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I have been eyeing that device for awhile. How do you like it, did you have the screen separation issue, and what did you upgrade from if anything?

• void@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

No, so far I haven’t noticed any screen separation issue. This is also my first handheld console and I’m really happy with it, I wouldn’t have thought it myself. However, I ordered from Amazon (in Germany) for far too much money, only I found out too late. But maybe better that way than if I had to wait a long time for it. It’s really great to be able to play your old favorite games from anywhere. The only “issue” is: I suspect that the emulator apps that come with it are pirated. You don’t get any updates via the Google Playstore. But I uninstalled the ones I really use and then bought them in the Playstore.

• Gorejelly@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Pretty nifty. I can’t remember every C64 game I ever played way back when, but I remember a fair few of them requiring a keyboard, sometimes prior to getting into the game, sometimes in the game itself (text entry being a major part of the game, for example).

Did you connect a keyboard for this? Or just carefully playing only those C64 games that you could get by with a few key presses and a joystick?

• void@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There is an option to enable an overlay keyboard on the display if needed but to be honest: This is a terrible solution. For now it works OK but I will order this little keyboard next week: http://www.riitek.com/product/214.html and connect it via bluetooth. I hope it will work as expected. I grew up with homecomputers (Atari 65 XE, C64 and Amiga) and these are my favourite Systems but without a keyboard it’s sometimes really difficult.

The new C64 games I bought on itch.io work much better on this device/VICE. I think the developers know this problem and develop them the way they don’t need (so many) keyboard interaction. I’ve spent this month more than 120 EUR only for C64 games. 🙄

• Gorejelly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Thanks for the great reply! I also love itch! I have gotten a lot of amazing software (mostly games, but a lot of great books and other pdfs) from there for very good prices.

Agreed on the keyboard overlay. I know the simplest/easiest solution is to just emulate any computer on another keyboard-enabled device, but there is still a fascination (for me at least) to running Apple/C64/Mac gen1/2 era software on a retro handheld. I think if I had to use any keyboard overlay to play a game, I’d probably not want to play that game. That’s just based off of every one that I’ve ever seen. Maybe there is a decent one to use that I haven’t seen yet…

A few questions for you, if you don’t mind. Are you emulating via RetroArch or using a standalone C64 emulator? If so, which one?

The reason I ask is I’m not sure if a bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo (I have one myself; not the same, but a slightly smaller one that I’ve had for years) will work in the way that you want it to. I’ve never tried this before on RetroArch, but I’m going to assume a BT kbm would be recognized by RetroArch in the same way that a BT controller would be.

If that’s true, then you would not be able to use the controls of your device at the same time as the BT kbm. They would be marked as device 0 and device 1, and I don’t think you could merge them (to use the buttons from the handheld alongside the keys of the kbm). I think, by default, that the handheld would be set as Player 1 and the kbm would be set as Player 2. You could swap back and forth during a game by just going into the RetroArch menu (then Settings, then Input, then Player 1, then change input device), but that could get very messy. You’d have to have shortcuts for any features you need (at least a way to return to the RetroArch menu, and maybe save/load states and other things) that would be compatible across both control methods. That would be fine for just the RetroArch menu (as they even give you two hotkey combo entries, one for controllers and one for keyboard) but the other features would likely not be able to be used by both sets of controls.

Just something to think about. As I said, I’ve never tried that before. Someone more versed at this might be able to agree or disagree with what I’ve said.

• void@feddit.deOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Oh yes, itch is really fantastic! :)

For now I’m using the C64.emu by Robert Broglia. But there are Systems/Games I would love to emulate where I can’t download any emulator from the Playstore for Android 12, for example Amiga and Atari 800. I’m probably dependent on RetroArch for that. But to be honest: I still haven’t figured out how RetroArch exactly works. For example: Yesterday I tried to emulate River Raid on the Atari 800 core. Everything works fine, the game is booting and running but the controls aren’t working. I’m not sure what to do. I think I will need some time to read about it.

The point about the keyboard is a very good clue, thanks for that! :) This will probably save me a lot of time and nerves if I try and it doesn’t work. Usualy, when I’m trying something and it’s not working and always think this is my fault and than I try the dumbest solutions for hours, wasting my time. ;) I hope then that it will at least work with the other emulators.