• pH3ra@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Actually Frodo was in his 30s when he received the Ring, he was in his 50s when he left the Shire…
    Sorry to bother, I’ll crawl back in my hill-dug home now

• Siegfried@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

The real problem is when frodo is asking this question and it could be anywhere between ~30 and ~50… the age relationship between frodo and bilbo is incorrecr. it should be either 111 - 30 or 131 and 50

Edit: just remembered, frodo was 33 when he got the ring. On the books, some invetees to bilbos party where pissed off cause they felt like they were invited just to cover the 144 main guests (adding both bilbo’s and frodo’s age at the time)

• pH3ra@lemmy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

Unless math works differently in Middle Earth, that is exactly what I meant

• AbouBenAdhem@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

I’ve heard—from another (admittedly biased and inconsistent) source close to the matter—that OP is wicked, tricksy, and perhaps even false.

• pH3ra@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

In fact I hate when in Moria Gandalf says “All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us”
      You’re literally 2K years old, fuck you dude

• efrique@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

took me a minute. Still waking up. The Bilbo Frodo age diff is 111-33, though so if this is Frodo at 50, Bilbo is older than 111 at the time of writing

• Transcriptionist@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

Image Transcription:

White text on dark blue background reading: “My uncle (111 M) gifted me (50 M) a ring before leaving to go travelling. A close family friend (2,019 M) told me to destroy the ring due to problematic associations with the jeweller who made it, but the ring is precious to me and I would feel guilty throwing it away. AITA?”

[I am a human, if I’ve made a mistake please let me know. Please consider providing alt-text for ease of use. Thank you. 💜]

• Dale@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

Bilbo (111 M) gives the ring of power to Frodo (50 M) who is told by Gandalf (2019 M) it must be destroyed because Sauron (jeweler) is a douche

• H2207@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      10 months ago

What’s with the numbers, are they 2019 years old? 2019 miles/metres away? The numbers, what do they mean?!

• Gimly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

It’s their age and sex, Gandalf is indeed 2049 years old during the events of the Lords of the ring.

• EmoDuck@sh.itjust.works
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

You think Gandalf ever had sex in those 2019 years? I mean, he probably has the equipment for the job and we know that wizards can enjoy the pleasures of mortals, such as smoking halfling weeds. He probably has at least made it to second base

• pH3ra@lemmy.ml
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            10 months ago

Statistically speaking he must have.
            How he couldn’t? I mean not even an orc?

• ArbitraryValue@sh.itjust.works
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            10 months ago

The Valar can marry, which implies romantic love. (Although it seems like they don’t have children the normal way.) So I think the Maiar experience romantic love too. Gandalf doesn’t seem like the sort who would talk about it, especially if his partner had been dead for centuries.

But with Tolkien, you never know - apparently elves and humans have only gotten together twice in all the history of the world despite looking like each other and frequently being platonic friends.

Edit: I forgot about Luthien’s mom. The Maiar can even have children.