I was outraged to discover this lack of emoji support for cool S

• scarecrw@lemmy.one
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks for sharing this! Very cool to see the work that goes into a proposal, especially knowing that it has paid off.

From my uninformed perspective, this seems like an easy approval (no doubt due to your convincing proposal), but I’m curious if you were confident it would be accepted when you proposed it? I have no idea how stringent the acceptance process might be.

• edent@lemmy.one
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

You can read all the accepted and rejected proposals on the Unicode website.

Is it often used in “running text”? If you can show evidence of that, it will likely succeed. Popularity counts for nothing. Don’t bother with a low effort petition- put the effort into writing a proper proposal.

• scarecrw@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Not to be a jerk, but the image used there is a pretty bad example of the Cool S. It shouldn’t have horizontal ends, and should instead use diagonal lines to connect back to the middle.

Not that there’s exactly one Cool S, but this does not look like the most common or recognizable variant.

• Astongt615@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Origins unknown, the cool S is to be tribally handed down through middle school hallways. This is the way.