• Schiffsmaedchenjunge@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I only partially agree. While children are perfectly capable of operating mortars and machine guns, it is practically impossible for them to move them around to take a new position for example. They just lack the physical strength to do so. Self propelled weaponry, like tanks for example, are the perfect tool for a child. I’ve seen them doing it on TV.

• general_kitten@sopuli.xyz
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

also children are smaller so they can more easily fit into tight comparaments making it possible to design lower profile vehicles for lower costs, better concealment and thus better combat effectiveness

• Jumper775@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

While this makes sense, these prices of equipment are very complicated and may go over a child’s head due to limited intellect. I think it would be more appropriate to provide them with their own class of weapon. Attach whatever machine gun or mortar you wish to the front of a fisher price car or other motorized variant and let them have at it. This also reduces training costs.

• NucleusAdumbens@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

You are all making great points, but I think could be applying them better. They’re small, can’t be trusted with complexity, and can be replenished faster than adults. Therefore would be best suited to running aimlessly towards enemy front lines to draw fire, draining enemy resources and morale

• SpermGoobler@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Agreed. The children would otherwise be distinctly vulnerable to counter battery fire if not for self propelled systems.

Smaller crew also means more space to store rounds?

• Estiar@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Shells weigh a lot for a child. Unless you are using a tank with an autoloader, it may be hard after the first round

• soviettaters@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I agree that firearms tend to be too heavy for children, but heavy weaponry such as mortars are not the best use of the small size of children. During war it would be much more useful to use children to sabotage enemy installations using explosives or EMPs.