• Depress_Mode@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    10 months ago

Nowadays, kids can shoot back that they take the same uphill-both-ways route to school each day, except instead of freezing temps and deep snow, now it’s 130° and submerged under 10 feet of floodwaters. And just like Grampa, they still can’t afford shoes, either.

• shadowSprite@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

Speaking of floods and shoes and walking home from school, my mom used to tell me the story of when the bus dropped her and her siblings off from school, but they still had a really long walk and it was storming. My grandma came to pick them up but couldn’t drive the car through the floodwaters that had come up over the bridge, so they WALKED THROUGH THE FLOODWATERS OF THE CREEK to the car. My uncle had brand new shoes and took them off and was carrying them above his head and dropped them and my mom had to stop him from diving after them because he thought he’d get in trouble for losing his shoes. My mom said the next day after the flood receded they realized that the whole bridge had been washed away except the center where they had been walking. I was like 1. If this is really a true story, how the hell did none of you get washed away, and 2. You really couldn’t figure out another way to get home? Or just go vibe with a neighbor?

• Depress_Mode@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        10 months ago

That’s actually an awesome and charming story. Another possibility is that the bridge was still there when they walked across and was only washed away later.