Report of a study in Trail Runner about exercise dependency. From the article:

The criteria used to evaluate exercise addiction include Salience, which refers to prioritizing exercise over other obligations; Conflict, which arises between exercise and responsibilities; Mood Modification, using exercise to enhance emotional well-being; Tolerance, requiring more exercise to achieve the same mental benefits; Withdrawal, leading to negative emotions when unable to exercise; and Relapse, returning to excessive exercise after reducing activity.

Interesting. We often have conflicts around our house about the time I spend running and recovering from running. And I definitely use running to help myself stay positive.

What do you guys think?

• markstos@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

The article says it “focused on 12 hospitalized ultra-runners”.

That’s a very small sample size… and everyone in the study had run to the point they needed hospitalization.

If you want to conclude that some people run too much, talking to a dozen runners in the hospital would be a good start.

• marvinfreeman@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

I understand your point and agree. And it’s a tiny sample. But the the article wasn’t about whether some people run too much but about whether addictive behavior can make people run too much.

If you want to look at harmful addictive behavior, asking runners how and why they ran themselves into the hospital seems like an okay starting place.

• Holyginz@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I mean, it releases dopamine, endorphins, what have you into your system to make you feel good. Stands to reason there would be potential to become addicted. And logically it would make sense those running the furthest likely have a higher chance of this dependency. Likely part of why some are running the distances they do in the first place.

• ViciousTurducken@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

I highly recommend the book “Can’t Hurt Me” about the life of David Goggins. His exercise dependency is next level.

• marvinfreeman@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      10 months ago

The overtime blurb:

New York Times Best Seller

Over 5 million copies sold

For David Goggins, childhood was a nightmare - poverty, prejudice, and physical abuse colored his days and haunted his nights. But through self-discipline, mental toughness, and hard work, Goggins transformed himself from a depressed, overweight young man with no future into a U.S. Armed Forces icon and one of the world’s top endurance athletes. The only man in history to complete elite training as a Navy SEAL, Army Ranger, and Air Force Tactical Air Controller, he went on to set records in numerous endurance events, inspiring Outside magazine to name him The Fittest (Real) Man in America.

In Can’t Hurt Me, he shares his astonishing life story and reveals that most of us tap into only 40% of our capabilities. Goggins calls this The 40% Rule, and his story illuminates a path that anyone can follow to push past pain, demolish fear, and reach their full potential.