• Halvdan@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Those were definitely on the list. As was moving to a hut in the woods and living of the land. :)

• Halvdan@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yeah. Don’t burn yourself out on the job. No one will thank you for it. It can be hard, I still have problems saying no. Go figure.

• SuitedUpDev@feddit.nl
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

In my time as a sound engineer, I learned to say no. Compared to sound engineering (as in, live sound engineer), being a dev is a walk in the park.

No more 16 hour work days, no more tours with getting only 6 hours of sleep each night. No stressing out over a technical issue 15 minutes before show time. I could go on and on :P

• Halvdan@sopuli.xyz
                  link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  1 year ago

Coming from a job where dev work feels like vacation. Sheesh. Good on you, man.

Edit: if you are a man. Shouldn’t assume really.

• Halvdan@sopuli.xyz
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              edit-2
              1 year ago

I saw a documentary of a dude who moved to Alaska and built a hut and lived there for basically the rest of his life. Think he moved up there in like 1930-50 or something. He filmed his life as well. But not everyone will have the skills to do something like that. Inspiring stuff though.

Edit: don’t try and find it, though. It is too powerful for mere mortals.

• Halvdan@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

First biomedical engineer at a hospital and now tech service for medical diagnostics and automation.

• Halvdan@sopuli.xyz
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

No, you don’t actually have to be a biomed to work as one in Sweden. I have engineering background and I guess I’m pretty technical overall. I actually didn’t know there were biomeds at hospitals. I got sort of a test employment through a government program and they liked me so I got to stay.

• Halvdan@sopuli.xyz
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I pretty much had to. Burned out completely. Took years to even think about working again. But enough about me, what’s up with you these days? :D

Right, your question. First BioMed at a hospital and then tech service for analytics and automation. See my answers elswere in the thread as well.

• oranges@lemmy.mlOP
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 year ago

Ahhh gotcha and understandable.

I’m fortunate that I work for myself and kind of pick and choose the clients and jobs I work with. It’s nothing too taxing and I generally build higher level functionality into websites that sort of thing :)

Keeps the wolves from the door and food on the table !

• adthrawn@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Man I feel this all the time. I can’t count the number of times I’m talking to my boss about something and I think “oh yeah, should be easy” and something will trip me up for a day

• oranges@lemmy.mlOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I hear you… it’s a killer isn’t it.

The number of times I have made a rod for my own back with clients… “Yea, I’ll add that I’m for you no problem”…

The famous last words.

The can of worms opens and a few rounds of crisis of confidence and tears later, eventually get there and think, I’m keeping my mouth shut from here on in.

Rinse and repeat :)

• rskn@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Yep, and the the more you work on it, the more issues and problems you run into that you need to figure out.

Not to mention the more things you see that you try to get fancy on. Which ends up taking even more time/effort, because you can’t let it beat you.

• lorossi97@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sometimes I wonder if I am crazy for programming as a hobby.

Wouldn’t crochet be easier?