Daniel Auderer denies wrongdoing, claiming he ‘intended the comment as a mockery of lawyers’

• AttackBunny@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      10 months ago

I think you might be misinterpreting the statement, or I’m misinterpreting what you’re saying.

saying her life had “limited value” and the city should “just write a check”.

They are saying she isn’t worth thinking about to just cut a check to the family and tell them to fuck off. I’m paraphrasing, obviously. That tracks pretty well really.

• The Snark Urge@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

It absolutely does not. He was joking that she had limited value because she “was 26”.

A person approaching the most economically productive years of their life does not have limited value unless you only value women for one thing.

Drop the bullshit.

• Jaysyn@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        10 months ago

The cops on the bodycam are clearly laughing about the students’ demise.

It’s disgusting.

• The Snark Urge@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          10 months ago

There’s really no other way to read it. The statement is pure damage control PR meant for to those who won’t watch the video.

• Mudface@lemmy.world
    cake
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

I understand that being surrounded by trauma most days of the year, for a lot of your life leads people to find humor in what the rest of us would find disgusting.

I know a guy who airlifts people to hospitals when they are severely injured. Once a man had been beaten to death in the head with a hammer and my friend had to airlift his body somewhere. His joke “It’s hammer time”.

Not a good joke to you and I. But there is a fair amount of desensitization and coping that goes into a joke and a laugh like that. This guy I know is just a pilot, he doesn’t have any real specialized training to deal emotionally or mentally with something like that.

I am not excusing the officer, not one bit. But just laughing and making a joke about a traumatic situation I kind of understand in a round about way.

What makes this so insidious feeling is that it’s the police, and I know that the vast majority of police are corrupt losers who might actually simply be a bunch of horrible horrible people. Do we know if they would cover up any incompetence that went into the cause of this death? Of course we do. It’s probably even likely, imo

I don’t think that the police should have a union, I don’t think the tax payer should pay for police officers mistakes.

And the addition of throwing in a story about a trump flag incident with a black person makes it pretty obvious that the author of this piece has an agenda to push too.

Pretty sure you can find other flags in that precinct. Probably a BLM flag if this is in Seattle.

The police are disgusting, this author is stooping pretty low, and the only people I respect (besides the victim) in this is the victims family. God bless them, and I hope they are able to find some comfort in the years ahead.

• mvilain@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

While I can’t be sure, but I’ll pretty certain that someone saying the same thing about the Police Union Leader’s family would be met with a visit from a SWAT team. I wonder where when Anonymous will start doing takedowns of such people. I’m sure there’s plenty of dirt underneath this guy’s carpets.