Four volunteer crew members entered a Mars-realistic 3D printed habitat.

• mack123@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

We still have a lot to learn of the psychology of the situation. Results from these studies are always interesting. Even if it is far from the real thing.

It is also a perfect starting point for a post apocalyptic novel. “The only group to survive the end was a small band of researchers, stuck in their isolation experiment.”

• Lenguador@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I wonder what specifically they’re interested in vs long deployments in Antarctica (people do 12 months rotations in some stations there).

I found this article discussing the psychology of placements in Australian antarctic stations: https://psychology.org.au/for-members/publications/inpsych/2021/february-march-issue-1/life-in-the-australian-antarctic-program.

The differences as I see them are:

1. Smaller crew
    2. No unsuited outdoor time
    3. Smaller space
    4. Communication latency / outages
    5. Personal belongings weight/volume limits
    6. Dietary restrictions
    • Jon-H558@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

those doing a antartic winter may as well have the no suited outdoor time, poor clothing choice will be death almost as quick

• RodPhoto@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I’m thinking a lot of the equipment is different as well, and since they mention simulating equipment malfunctions, that plays an important part, especially with the additional limitations/simulated dangers.

• parrot-party@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Antarctica trips have all of those limits you mentioned, they’ll just be worse for Mars. While they can operate sort of freely for a few months, once winter sets in, they are just as isolated as another planet. They just get the advantage of easier setup then Mars.

• RodPhoto@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I guess that depends on what you consider reasonable. I figure if they’re starting with simulations such as this now, it’s reasonable to expect an actual manned mission in maybe 20 years.

• Ganondorf@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

Hard to say - There’s still a lot of hazards yet to be accounted for: a lot more radiation exposure, literal poison in the soil, severe weather, safe and affordable supply chain, etc.