(figured I’d ‘do my part’ and make my first Lemmy post…!)

I love this thing too much to part with, but I’m gonna have to be honest: I barely use it. More often or not I retro-game on my Steam Deck…slightly more portable!

Has anyone else built their own units for retro-gaming though?

• TimeNaan@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sure, I built a retro arcade cabinet from a raspberry pi, crt tv and arcade parts. It’s fun af.

• RxBrad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Made this guy back in 2015… Have made a couple changes here & there. I’ve had the itch to sell it and make a new one from scratch, taking into account things I’ve learned & wanted to change…

Arcade machine

• Chemical@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I’m definitely thinking about it. I played around with the idea a while back, but remember getting frustrated with the key mapping.

• davetansley@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

About 13 years ago, I made this fella.

https://i.imgur.com/hZYFEmC.jpg

It was a huge amount of fun to build and I was very happy with the result. I hardly play it, but sometimes just put it on and let it cycle through games to fill the house with an arcade-y ambiance.

It started off life with an old PC in it, but currently runs a Raspberry Pi 3.

• cccc@aussie.zone
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I had a Raspberry Pi setup with a little screen attached. Got some good usage but then decided to repurpose the Pi as a media server.

• tanker405th@lemmy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It’s on my to-do list, but the arcade hardware itself can get quite pricy. I may end up just using USB controllers instead of the buttons, sticks, and trackballs.

• TeaHands@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

We’ve got a full-size arcade cabinet in our kitchen. Was a DIY passion project of my husband’s before we met, and it was fun for a while because the various niblings would play with it when they came round for the big family breakfasts we used to do. Sometimes if I was alone in the house I’d leave it on demo mode just to have some comforting background noise.

Niblings grew up, I got used to the quiet of a small town, and I don’t think it’s even been turned on in about five years because we’ve also got way more portable options 😅

• PKRockin@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I picked up a little bartop cabinet from a local arcade convention a few years back for a few hundred bucks. Ended up ripping out the Pandora’s Box (overseas piracy device with a bunch of dumped ROMs) and threw a Raspberry Pi into it. Got everything wired up with RetroPi… then realized I needed to add more buttons.

It’s been in that state for years lol

• sfmqur@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Nothing wrong with not using it a ton. Sometimes it is about the journey not the destination. The thrill of building cool stuff vs the thrill of using it are two different things.