Not strictly Furry, but I do ise it to access FurryMUCK a bunch soooooo I say it counts XD

I built this when I was between contracts, to be a server crashcart and a platform for my infosec tools. It can be a srandalone machine, or with the press of a few buttons it can be a keyboard, mouse, and screen for an external machine. And yes, the visor DOES work as second display :P

If you’re curious, the full build log is here: https://medium.com/@garrwolfdog/bui.....k-799a3412557a

• brodokk@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

oh this is really cool! Always loved this kind of stuff x3

Seems fun to build and use but, at least for me, i will not see much use aside “fancy thing”. Aside FuryMUCK any other usage?

• GarrWolfdog@pawb.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Well, it’s running linux, so you can do more or less whatever you want with it. Its not super powerful but you can do some light gaming or whatever. I mainly use it for when I need to work directly with a server, but it can run a decent suite of infosec tools too, so it’s good for that side of my work.

• brodokk@pawb.social
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

hum yeah ok it’s maybe only me x3 I notice tho that if i don’t have a decent keyboard i can’t use a device correctly if i want to do stuff with it (aside gaming ofc)

But now you say that you use it when working directly with servers i could see some usage, instead of using my phone for searching stuff and a random keyboard i could see using that and switch the keyboard between the two devices and keep the screen for my search… maybe just overkill still ^^

link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Depending what you want from a keyboard, the deck does have a pretty good one. Its a hand built mechanical keyboard with MX brown switches. But it’s 40, which isn’t to everyone’s liking. its got full functionality, but cos its a reduced keyset you need touse more shift buttons to access it all. I really like 40% boards but I know the learning curve puts some people off.

And yeah, this deck can basically act like any regular server-room crash cart, just more cyber-y XD

• brodokk@pawb.social
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

For now I default to 96 keyboard, i like to have my numpad x3 But it’s clearly a fancy feature that I don’t really need since it make my hand move more to access numbers and some others keys…

But for something small like a deck i don’t mind a smaller format, I will need to learn to use it for sure and force myself if i want to do that ^^

Also I re checked your post this morning but you don’t say much about the touchpad aside it’s one of the things who was taking dust. Where did it come from? Looks like something who was having a case before that you removed no?

link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Yeah, the touchpad was juat a cheap standalone USB thing I got off AliExpress. 8f you take the caer off you just get a thin touch panel and a controller board. So I just took a bunch if measurements off the csse it came with and made my own version as part of the cyberdeck’s case

• Hanalei@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Hehe FurryMUCK Access Interface Device. Seriously though that is very, very cool, gives me ideas for the cyberdeck I’ve always wanted to build. EstroNoodl looks tasty

• EonNShadow@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wait, FurryMuck still exists? Huh.

Everything I’d ever heard about it was always talked about in the past-tense… Neat

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

It’s still around! Though its not the same hub for the fandom it was back in the day. Theres still a solid group of furs that hang out there though :)

link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Thanks! Yeah, the shoulder strap actually made for rifles, so its got shock absorbing bits and is designed to carry reasonably heavy things, so it’s super comfy :)

• notthebees@reddthat.com
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s awesome. I like the idea of the picatinny rail for attachments. What’s the display like when using it as a crash cart? I’ve been considering turning an old laptop into a crash cart of sorts. It’s already got a keyboard, mouse and display.