The family of a Saskatoon couple who chose to use the medical assistance in dying program together are sharing their story.

• OminousOrange@lemmy.ca
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    10 months ago

Passing with dignity and on your own terms? Sign me up (when the time comes). I know a provider who does these. Death is often a very sad thing, but in the medical field transitioning to providing this service as comfort, rather than simply preserving life of any definition, it can be a loving, even more celebratory event.

She put it simply, “would you want your last words to be ‘I love you,’ or ‘I can’t breathe’?” You can be a vegetable in a hospital bed, or you can be in your favorite chair at home, listening to your favorite music, with friends and family by your side. I know which option I’d take if I am fortunate to get to choose.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    10 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

It’s fitting that Ralph Johnstone and Laura Bach’s romance played out like the lyrics of a rock and roll song — maybe a power ballad.

Bach also had other conditions, such as irritable bowel syndrome, that caused chronic pain, created dietary restrictions and reduced her quality of life.

I didn’t know what the acronym meant, but when we started talking about it I said, ‘yes, I know about this,’" said Johnstone’s daughter, Erin Legg.

The couple’s children and grandchildren gathered at the house on the chosen morning — a Tuesday, the first sunny day after the August long weekend.

They created a booking agency and management company, setting up shop in a second-floor space on Broadway, the first of three locations they used in the then-sleepy retail district.

"We used to do things like put huge stacks with Altec speakers right out on the sidewalk and blast rock and roll.

The original article contains 1,075 words, the summary contains 146 words. Saved 86%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!