You can tell I’m pasting this across a few relevant communities.

Upon reflection, I don’t know if niche communities will help or possibly fragmented consolidated communities like this one, but I thought I’d just create a few communities mirroring my own favourite subreddits.

Hopefully this makes it easier for people in those subreddits to migrate over to Lemmy. We’ll see.

• nhgeek@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I know it’s not the way of my particular instance and I understand their logic. Still, I do think more of those specialized communities we know and love in Reddit world would help a lot.

• grabthar@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Very cool. There are a number of communities I’d like to see. Things like communities for learning/playing specific instruments. Can anyone create a community?

• piezoelectron@sopuli.xyzOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yep! The main caveats are:

• You can only create a community on the instance you’re signed up on
      • Some instances (e.g. Beehaw) don’t allow community creation

But in general, most instances do allow it. One possible workaround if you’re “stuck” on Beehaw might be to sign up on another instance, create your community, and then make your Beehaw account a mod on it. This way you don’t have to ditch you Beehaw account if you’re keen on creating communities.

Alternatively, if you’re still quite new here, maybe creating an account on another instance might not be a huge loss to you just yet.