Microsoft says it is currently debating using ARM64 or AMD Zen 6 architecture for the CPU. Note that the Xbox Series X uses a custom Zen 2 CPU, while Zen 4 is used in present-day laptops and desktops. Microsoft appears to be leaning towards an AMD Navi 5x (RDNA 5) GPU compared to RDNA 3 for the current-generation Radeon RX 7000 Series (and a custom RDNA 2 GPU for Xbox Series X).

However, we must take these leaked documents with a grain of salt. Nothing is set in stone, especially for hardware not scheduled to ship to customers for another five years. These are Microsoft’s alleged aspirational goals for the future of Xbox, and plans can and likely will change.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Microsoft will redesign the Xbox Series X with a cylindrical shape, double storage to 2TB, add Wi-Fi 6E/Bluetooth 5.2, improve efficiency and kill the internal Blu-ray drive.

However, leaked documents from the FTC vs. Microsoft court case also revealed the company’s plans for a true, next-generation game console.

Leaked slides show that the Xbox Series X successor will land sometime in late 2028, although developer kits would likely ship a year earlier.

It would be impossible to cram photorealistic map data covering the entire world into a Blu-ray disk, and it would take up too much storage space even for a digital download.

We’d imagine that Microsoft and third-party developers will take this “hybrid” approach to the next level by relying even less on local storage to carry the heavy lifting for game assets.

This could even lead to a reduced reliance on including expensive, high-performance silicon inside the console and instead pushing the burden on server farms (think Xbox Cloud Gaming).

The original article contains 433 words, the summary contains 162 words. Saved 63%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!