• misanthropy@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

If I want to smoke cigarettes you not liking them shouldn’t get in the way of that. Some of us don’t see a long term future in this shit world. A smoke is five minutes of peace. All substances should be legal and regulated.

• misanthropy@lemm.ee
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Who shit in your cereal, asshole? I vape if I’m out and about, because I’m not an asshole and realize others don’t want to smell cigarettes. Nothing I said indicated I’m out smoking amongst people, I simply said if I choose to smoke, your moral panic shouldn’t step on that, because it doesn’t fucking affect you when I smoke in my car or on my porch with some coffee or a beer. I smoke cigarettes infrequently.

And no, I don’t toss my butts everywhere either. Eat me. I’m free to hurt myself and mind my own business, like you should.

• Z3k3@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            arrow-down
            ·
            9 months ago

I vape if I’m out and about, because I’m not an asshole and realize others don’t want to smell cigarettes

Can I let you in on a little secret. Its still very smellable.

The sweet flavours on the vape juice even more so. Some go so far as to trigger my asthma 😕.

More so than regular cigs but that could because growing up my patents between them smoked around 80 a day and just had to get used to it.

• misanthropy@lemm.ee
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

I get that. I use a nicotine salt vape out and about that puts out a minimal amount of vapor to mitigate that. Sorry to hear that. I really do try to be courteous though I get plenty of people don’t give a fuck.

To be honest, I wfh, and I pretty much only go out to go to the grocery.

Best of luck on the asthma

• Z3k3@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

I have been around smokers all my days. Hell would even go out with fhe smoker in our group if they went outside to continue the conversation. I don’t know what it is about those particular vape liquids could be a particular chemical or just hitting the back of my throat with such a pungent smell just right.

I’m more or less fine with the asthma having it 40 yrs at this point. Although I just got my arse kicked at my annual check for not using my reliever as much as I should.

In terms of op I don’t hate this. It doesn’t affect those legally smoking now unlike when the Scottish government raised it to 18 from 16 making something addictive and legal for some to addictive and illegal. That shit was just cruel

• misanthropy@lemm.ee
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  9 months ago

There’s only actually a couple flavors I’ve found over the years that I’ve been able to tolerate honestly. A lot of them just taste straight chemical.

I assume you mean inhaler? I was under the impression those were just as needed… I had asthma as a kid but I grew out of it luckily.

But how is a ban really going to help? When has prohibition of mentally altering substances actually worked?

• Z3k3@lemmy.world
                link
                fedilink
                English
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                edit-2
                9 months ago

Wow your touchy

I specifically mentioned the sweet smelling crap and yes I mean outside.

So unless you are my doctor with I timate knowledge of my case kindly wind your kneck in.

To give you an idea how trigger happy mine is simple morning fog is enough to set it off

BTW like you I smoked till about 15 yrs ago. Getting off them was the hardest thing i did and drove my asthma nuts more than staying on.

The asthma clinic advised me this is fairly common as the junk in your lungs changes.

E to get back to the point I saw making

We can smell it and we don’t like it

• Something_Complex@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

100% agree, tbh most countries dont know how to handle drugs…look at Portugal for a good example on how to do it.

Either way yes we should let people decide what they do with their lives. We don’t need no one banning bleach cuz a bunch of people decided to drink it too. We didn’t need them around either way.

• Beryl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      9 months ago

Yeah no nicotine needs to go too. You shouldn’t be allowed to sell a product that is pretty much guaranteed to make you an addict for the rest of your days. And that’s pretty much what the e-cigs makers have been doing, targeting younger customers to ensure they never run out of addicts even after old fashioned tobacco smokers are gone. The only benefit of nicotine is to relieve nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Vape nicotine-free juice if you enjoy it, but nicotine itself should only be sold in pharmacies to people who are already hooked.

• wwaxen@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

“which include a ban on selling tobacco to anyone born on or after Jan. 1, 2009”

• diviledabit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Currently as one becomes 18 it becomes legal to buy tobacco products. Banning for future generations means that this stops being the case and nobody currently under 18 will gain the right to do so on their 18th birthday.

I can’t imagine this being legally sound - that some citizens have the right to decide for themselves whether to smoke but others don’t.

• gerryflap@feddit.nl
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Very rare based moment for the UK government. Shows you that even a broken clock is right twice a day.

• TheActualDevil@sffa.community
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Why do people always do that? I agree it would be a good move, but because smoking is unhealthy and addictive and it’s existence in our society makes it collectively worse. But here I keep seeing people just say they’re glad because they think cigarettes are icky.

• febra@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Yet again governmental overreach. If people want to smoke, let them smoke. It’s none of your business to babysit adults. I hate it when the government is trying to push people into little boxes. And I am not even a smoker. I hate smoking and think it’s disgusting. At at the same time, I don’t want the state to control every single piece of my life. If I ever decide to smoke, I shall have the right to do so and decide what I put in my body.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Sept 22 (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is considering introducing measures that would ban the next generation from ever being able to buy cigarettes, The Guardian reported on Friday, citing government sources.

Sunak is looking at anti-smoking measures similar to laws New Zealand announced last year, which include a ban on selling tobacco to anyone born on or after Jan. 1, 2009, the report said.

“We want to encourage more people to quit and meet our ambition to be smokefree by 2030, which is why we have already taken steps to reduce smoking rates,” a British government spokesperson said in an emailed response to Reuters.

Those measures include free vape kits, a voucher scheme to incentivise pregnant women to quit, and consulting on mandatory cigarette pack inserts, the spokesperson added.

Britain in May announced it would close a loophole that let retailers give free samples of vapes to children in a clampdown on e-cigarettes.

Separately, councils in England and Wales in July called on the government to ban the sale of single-use vapes by 2024 on both environmental and health grounds.

The original article contains 215 words, the summary contains 183 words. Saved 15%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!