As the field of implantable brain devices moves in leaps and bounds, there will come a time in the future when we will need to consider obsolescence of these devices, and as the implants grow in complexity and scope, will we eventually have to redefine our idea of what it is to be human?

• 4am@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

If you let anyone put an implant in your brain you’re dumber than a roomba.

• MyFairJulia@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Then we need to reconsider capitalism, because that system is dependent on you buying stuff repeatedly. I really don’t like the idea of a blind person getting their vision back only for that implant to fail.

• Asstronaut@lemmy.worldOPM
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          arrow-down
          ·
          9 months ago

Or being forced to watch ads every hour unless they upgrade to vision+ monthly subscription

• Korkki@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

There are really good points in the article about obsolescence. Like if some poor shmuck actually goes and takes the neuralink surgery, even if it’s for a valid medical or QoL reason and not just because cool early adopter factor and then the firm goes bust and customers have useless electrodes in their brains that is no longer supported by any company and made near impossible to hack because of close source software. Even if a company stays in business, but the tech itself might get old and then it’s a whole new thing to getting it removed and upgraded. There are other reasons why these things can’t really require cracking open a persons skull when installing or doing maintenance.

For wider adoption a BCI can’t be no more invasive than a injection and preferably being non permanent. Like Darpa N3 programs has studied these kinds of things with totally non invasive methods and injectable nanotransducers…

• Asstronaut@lemmy.worldOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Excellent summary! Yes the obsolescence will be a massive problem given the high-risk nature of any procedure to access the cranial vault. I can’t see this technology moving out of the therapeutic realm until viable non-invasive alternatives exist, I feel people will be much more comfortable to experiment with this tech once they know they can simply switch it off or detach it without risking their biology. I can see a cultural shift occurring with the advent of this type of technology, from short sighted consumerism to something a bit more holistic and long-term