One of the songs I’m currently listening to. The song and the music video feel more like a something from a musical. I quite like it. It makes me wish to be able to understand Japanese.

DeepL translates the video description as follows:

Tomoyasu Hotei’s long-awaited latest work “GUITARHYTHM Ⅶ”. In the 35 years since his solo debut “GUITARHYTHM” after the breakup of BOØWY, this is the seventh installment in the popular series that has impacted the scene by opening up an overwhelming world view.

Set in the year 2023, the first year of AI, the sound concept of this album is “Retro Future,” reminiscent of 90s modern music, with a message of hope and warning for the future, and Hotei’s guitar sings sharply and elongated throughout the entire album. The album has been highly acclaimed by many artists who should be called “guitarism children,” and has been called the best work in the history of guitarism.

The music video for “Andromeda (feat. Aina the End),” which was released earlier in the year, has been a huge hit with fans on both sides. The film, directed by the brilliant Atsunori Higashiichi, depicts the sad and strange story of a scientist (played by Hotei) and an android (played by Aina the End) who entrust their dreams for the future to an android in a spectacular science fiction rock opera. Aina the End’s stunning performance and presence, along with Hotei’s silhouette, are stylishly and densely presented in this music video, which is sure to be talked about as a masterpiece that will remain in the history of music videos.

GUITARHYTHM Ⅶ" is an ambitious work that should be enjoyed by people of all ages, and can be called the culmination of Hotei’s constant challenge to new styles as a guitarist.

• awdsns@feddit.deM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

That’s really an impressive song born from this collaboration! You’re right, it does feel like from a musical, especially with the dialogue between the two parts. Also an great variety of musical styles incorporated there… At times it kind of seemed reminiscent of The Smashing Pumpkins, other sections were kind of 80s synth-pop, Queen (Bohemian Rhapsody?) or David Bowie… Pretty wild!