• Infynis@midwest.social
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Sorry Data, but Geordi’s right. The Tractor Beam literally never works. We need to start giving new ships grapplers like the NX-01

• danwardvs@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I know it’s for the plot but yeah, when xyz doesn’t work because of “atmospheric interference” or whatnot they could fall back onto more primitive technologies. Tractor beam not working? Use a grappler. Phasers not working? Bring down a gunpowder firearm.

• aeronmelon@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Phasers don’t work?

“PORT SIDE CANNONS, FIRE!!”

(Can you imagine what a broadside attack from a Galaxy-class starship would look like?)

• dejected_warp_core@startrek.website
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        9 months ago

Forget gunpowder though. With tech like tractor beams, inertial dampeners, and gravity plating, you’d think The Federation would have more armaments in the way of mass drivers, rail guns, and other physics based attacks. Heck, even an chaotic orbiting swarm of meteorites would do a lot to disperse phaser fire.

I was so happy to see this thinking in action during the last season of Picard.

• JWBananas@startrek.website
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

I, for one, look forward to seeing more asteroids flung at jackasses with tractor beams in the future.

Riker and the tractor beam at the nebula. Riker, his aim true.

• TheGrandNagus@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Yeah, it’s mentioned fairly casually that the Enterprise D would be able to destroy an entire continent fairly trivially from orbit

Weapons and shields in star trek are crazy powerful

• marcos@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

I recall those working once on Enterprise, but I can’t remember the context… maybe I’m misremembering and it never worked?

• marcos@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          9 months ago

Yeah, my comment was about the grappling hooks. They weren’t very reliable either.

I’m sure the tractor bean on TNG worked way more often. And I don’t remember what they had on TOS.

• Crismus@lemmynsfw.com
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Once they grappled onto a ship’s nacelles and disabled them using brute force.

Physical attacks can work pretty good sometimes.

• kaitco@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

As I continue my Trekking adventure, I love understanding more and more of the memes. I just watched this episode for the first time a few days ago.

That said, as I continue watching Trek, I keep seeing how everything else in the world has ripped off Trek at one time or another. One of my favorite episodes of The X-Files lifted this entire plot; like, it’s just maddening how similar the stories are. 😡

• QuizatzHaderach@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

The redundancy of 3s, especially at the poker game and then the final solution blew my then 13 year old brain.

• limelight79@lemm.ee
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

I agree, this is one of the best episodes out there. My only gripe is the great Kelsey Grammar is relegated to a few lines at the end. But it’s one of my favorites.

• pixeltree@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Basically, time loop of the enterprise being destroyed. Tractor beam fails to stop the danger, eventually riker decompresses the shuttle bay which shunts the enterprise out of the way and breaks the loop

• friendlymessage@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Close, but not quite: Data suggest tractor beam, Riker shuttle bay decompression. Picard orders tractor beam, it fails, Enterprise destroyed, timeloop begins anew.

New try, this time Data sends “3” back in the timeline to indicate that they should listen to the commander.

New try, Data understands his message just in time to also decompress the shuttle bay along with the tractor beam shenanigans. All are saved and live happily ever after.

• wahming@monyet.cc
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Oh jeez, you’re one of those profile stalkers? Get a life dude

• RojoSanIchiban@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

Eyyy I love seeing this after referencing it 3 days ago!

33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333

• mikezane@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Couldn’t they have just done both? Also, what the hell was the first ship doing to get stuck in a time loop for so long before the Enterprise showed up?

• cybervseas@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This was the episode they destroyed the original Enterprise D model for, right? I love how much they milked that one explosion.

• GenXcisGuy@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

The is the theory of the Möbius: a twist in the fabric of space, where time becomes a loop.