According to a new survey by Ernst & Young, 48% of new car buyers say they plan to get a hybrid, plug-in hybrid, or full EV—but an unexpected adoption barrier has emerged.

• Madrigal@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

And the other half will “roll smoke to own the libs”, thus maintaining balance.

• LucidDaemon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

While EVs are fantastic, and a needed step in the right direction. Having a good public transit system, and walkable/bikable cities and towns will do far more to help the environment.

• Calzoner@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Id love to have an EV, but I live in an apartment. And management has no intention of spending the money on adding chargers. Even if they added a few, people would just park there with their gas cars. Haven’t seen a car towed here in 2.5 years of living here.

I hope these issues can be addressed. Until then, EV ownership doesnt make sense for a huge portion of the US population.

• geekworking@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Full EV not possible for all of the hoards of people living in apartments and town homes where you either don’t have access to install chargers or parking is in some public areas. Outside of single family homes, not really going to be practical until there are chargers in almost every parking space or you can full charge in the same time it takes to fill a gas tank.

• Empyreus@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’ve found a lot of people charge when they go to the grocery store and it seems like a good option for those in apartment buildings. I’ve also found more and more apartments are having some ev spots.

• theyoyomaster@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

It’s also not possible for hoards of people living not in cities. Where I live in OK I get fuel anxiety on a 4.5 hour drive to TX with a gas powered car. If I don’t plan it correctly I can’t make it.

• joel_feila@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

yeah the biden adim really missed the point with all that money it set aside for build charging stations and not any part of it for apratments, or homes.

• chaples55@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The IRA does have provisions for home electrical upgrades to accommodate electrification projects. You don’t really need a fancy fast charger at home though since you can just slow charge overnight. Better for the battery that way.

As far as apartments go, I don’t think landlords need any government handouts… Maybe there should be legislation to require X many chargers by X date for apartment complexes over X number of residents.

• joel_feila@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Well yes. I never said the IRA did, just what would be best.

No for home most people would need a level 2 charger or a second car. Which coast money to install, and is confusing for most people since level 2 charger is basically a foreign language to the.

For apartments. Yes most landlords could afford to install them but with a government offering to cover part of the cost or giving tax breaks it makes them more likely to say yes

• queermunist@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

If you live in the city and are able bodied there’s no reason to not replace your car with an ebike.

I live in the countryside and I’ve used that thing to do 40 mile round trips for appointments and groceries. If I didn’t have to deal with snow I’d ditch my car entirely.

Just be sure to wear sunscreen lol

• hark@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I got my plug-in hybrid about six years ago and haven’t wanted a fully gas-powered car since then. I want a fully-electric car for my next car, but I am disappointed that car companies are barely offering any plug-in hybrids since they fill such a great need by providing a gas tank for longer distances (or if you don’t have access to a charger at that time) and having a smaller battery to reduce resource usage (while fulfilling the complete drive for most days).

• Ace@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

EVs are still in their infancy and Americans being Americans won’t buy one as an ICE replacement unless it can go as far as their old gas guzzler and fill up in about the same time. That and the infrastructure is abysmal and it’s much worse when you consider that charging stations for non-tesla EVs are generally borked at slow charging speeds if they even work at all.

The only reason I’m even considering an EV for my next car is because there’s still going to be an ICE car at the house for long trips and it’ll get me where I need to go on a full charge for daily use without any issues. Sadly, where I live means that if you don’t have a car, you can’t participate in society otherwise I’d be fine without a car period.

• douglasg14b@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I definitely am, but battery longevity and recyclability problems are still largely unsolved.

I’m willing to compromise with a plug-in hybrid so that all the short trips can be fully electric but I can still have long drives with gas.

• ohlaph@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I bought my car in 2010 and it’s still running strong. Eventually when I replace it, I am hoping they uave a fully electric model of it. I can’t justify spending 25-30k for a car at the moment.

• theyoyomaster@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The energy still comes from gas. It is reused but conservation of energy means without another input source, such as a plug, it is still fully gas powered. The gas was just burned before with a portion being reused.