• InfiniteFlow@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

The last paragraph is interesting and I think sums up what’s wrong with the whole zeitgeist of these tech and media companies: it can be good (and, I argue, is actually better) without being “worth billions”. This feeling that sustainability isn’t enough, decent profit isn’t enough, it has to be worth the GDP of a small country is awful, and it is always done at the expense of the users, who for the most part complacently don’t give a fuck. Unbound greed really is an ugly thing to see…

Edit: fixing autocorrect…

• berkat@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I think the biggest issue is that u/spez thinks Reddit content is proprietary when it’s really a public forum.

• eleitl@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Wait until Reddit is hit with massive fines for failing to comply with all the GDPR deletion requests.

• Ketchup@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I filed mine for the complete history on two accounts. One 11 years old. The other 4. I edited comments I’d made, and I unsubscribed from every subreddit except ApolloApp

• Loce@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, every comment I’ve deleted got eventually undeleted. Multiple times. Now I’ve started editing old comments. I hope someone fucks him up with the gdpr lawsuit at least in EU.

• nieceandtows@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Makes some good points that we have all been making for a while. The only problem is that not us too late for spez to change course. He has to continue doing this at least to save face (which I don’t know is possible).

• eleitl@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      1 year ago

I am thankful for Reddit’s series of mistakes, since the latest one has definitely helped Fediverse reach critical mass. And that is all that matters, not the fate of some semidead platform.

• YarRe@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

He doesn’t have the ability to see that. Hilarious how blind he is to everything when even the money behind the ipo is like “ehhhh maybe you’re just not as good as you think.” My shaude is really freuding today.

• HelloThere@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Spez is definitely struggling to square his, and his existing shareholder’s, wants with reality.

As to OpenAI and the other LLM snakeoil merchants, it’s definitely true that reddit, and most importantly the actual creators of the content - us - are compensated for the value we create. This is a key point argued in Jaron Lanier’s “Who Owns the Future”, a book realised 10 years ago which only gets more relevant with each passing year.

Spez thinking our content is somehow his, just because he pays to host it, would be hilarious if it wasn’t so delusional.