• Björn Tantau@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Yeah, I really don’t get why one is supposed to be better than the other.

Maybe doas gives you superer user privileges.

• knowncarbage@lemmy.fmhy.ml
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

sudo is complex with a lot of code and options.

doas is small, simple & secure from OpenBSD.

If all you want is root priv without remembering two passwords on your box, doas is fine. If you want a complex system of admins and users with fine grained permission control sudo may be a better option.

I use ’ su -’ much of the time and just use a root shell.

Actively replacing sudo with doas on an OS that includes sudo in the base system seems pointless imo.

• blackstrat@lemmy.fwgx.uk
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Can you actually remove sudo from a system without breaking stuff? I can image there’s some stuff, scripts etc that depends on it. Unless you can alias it away?

• Redjard@lemmy.dbzer0.com
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Used doas for about 4 years now and never had an issue like that. The default config passes environment variables differently to sudo, but after I added the correct setting for that to doas.conf it has been identical to sudo in everything.

If it caused issues for you you could link sudo to doas in bin, no script should ever use sudo -i right?

• zicrons@sopuli.xyz
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I use my Linux system without sudo, it does break some (badly written) scripts. You can fix it by either creating a symlink in your path or replacing sudo to doas on those scripts.

But I rarely encounter these issues. Usually system applications won’t be affecting by a missing sudo binary, as their privileges are typically managed by polkit or similar.

• Titou@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

There’s a huge amount of Gentoo users using it, but there’s OpenBSD who use it by default