• python@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

They’re also definitely doing some sort of keyword manipulation, cause the official Reddit App is fairly high in the result list when searching for Lemmy.

On another note: hi, I just came here today after RIF stopped working 👋

• yaaaaayPancakes@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

They’re also definitely doing some sort of keyword manipulation, cause the official Reddit App is fairly high in the result list when searching for Lemmy.

In the organic results or the paid results? It’s pretty common for competitors to buy your name in search term sales.

• damnYouSun@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

It’s pretty common for competitors to buy your name in search term sales.

The famous example been Pizza Hut buying ads on searches for Domino’s

• Fordry@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

It’s 6th for me when I search lemmy. Visible at the bottom of the list before starting to scroll. Definitely a regular listing as far as I can tell.

• cyd@vlemmy.net
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

After seeing this, I thought I’d go over to the Play Store to leave a 1 star review. Then discovered I had already left a 1 star review (complaining about their shitty interface) a few months ago, which I’d totally forgotten about ;-)

• Urbanfox@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I did exactly the same.

Went in with a “fuck spez” attitude and turns out I’d already had a fuck spez moment when I picked up sync after finding the Reddit app garbage.

• damnYouSun@sh.itjust.works
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I never managed to get it to load anything on my 380mbps internet connection. Every 3rd party app (and the website) loaded fine.

• SwallowsDick@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I have about a similar level of loading inconsistency between these new Lemmy apps, and the one Reddit app made by the actual company. And the Lemmy browsing experience is already way better.

• KazroFox@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

We should report them as fake. Not sure how many reports it takes to get someone to look at it but it might be worth a shot.

• Xilly@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

I feel like I must be crazy but these reviews do not read like 5 star reviews. Seems super suspect.

• vanillacadmium@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

You’re right. One specifically mentions ‘would rate this 0 if I could’ so in lieu of that option, they selected a…5?

Have they gone through and scraped the text from a bunch of real reviews and are reposting them with 5 star ratings to make them look organic?

• Xilly@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

That honestly sounds to be the likely scenario. If someone saw the review they might shrug it off as an error or mistake.

• XiELEd@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Lmao I saw a 5 star review that said the official app was “better than any 3rd party app”, that it had “non-intrusive ads”, and asking for an ads toggle for premium users to be able to support reddit. I can’t even tell if it’s some sort of elaborate sarcasm. Wild.

• Qantifanon@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Reddit is completely astroturfed now. Nothing but bots and humans that act like bots.

• Korkki@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

it’s not just that reddit turned into a huge greedy corpo-clusterfuck when they went public, it was kinda bad before that too and held bad practices. Lemmy has a lot of the same features that made reddit shit on a fundamental level.

The up-vote downvote system itself is a both a curse and blessing. it’s sorts things decently but it encourages mediocrity and bot like behaviour in people, if one likes to put it that way. It makes discussing anything controversial and where the issue isn’t black or white, impossible. Good for cat pics and tits, but really bad for politics and the like, because everything eventually floats towards some status quo and everybody and everything else is sidelined and encouraged to shut up or go with the flow or face downvote barrage.

Also the bots are here, not yet, but they will be. Bots are easy to make here too. If this place ever gets even decently popular this place will get astroturfed and up-vote manipulated just like reddit. it’s too easy to manipulated community opinion or shill for issues or things in site like this. Federated structure might help or make it worse.

• Paradox@lemdro.id
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

They’re not even public yet lmao. And reddit got started by using bots to post content from RSS feeds to make it look busier than it was.

• lackthought@lemmy.sdf.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

on the desktop lemmy ui there is an option to hide scores

it doesn’t completely solve the vote issue since most people don’t use it ( I assume), but I find my experience more enjoyable when I don’t know what scores a post or comment has

• Pankkake@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I hear that instances can disable downvoting in Lemmy’s configuration. Maybe this is some solution to this issue.

• Korkki@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

but it’s also about upvotes. /r/worldnews and many large and default sub is infamously crawling with upvote bots and they drown out everything unwanted and most people only read the “hot” section.

• rambaroo@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

The main reason sites have upvote/downvote features is to create confrontation and conflict. They want us yelling at each other and insulting each other because that engages more people and makes them more money.

Social media companies are the scum of the fucking earth. Tech needs to be much more heavily regulated than it is. It’s long past time to put these intentionally destructive fatcat sociopaths in their place.

• Pankkake@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I hear that instances can disable downvoting in Lemmy’s configuration. Maybe this is some solution to this issue.

• Pankkake@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

• lycanrising@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

what i fear is that reddit will take completely unnecessary but effective potshots at the fediverse and take down instances or fill them with bots just to punish those who made a point of leaving.

• krackalot@vlemmy.net
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I expect it from reddit, Twitter and Facebook. This is a competitive service, and it’s not backed by a rich person that can swing money around to discover their behavior and sue them. They’ll likely be doing some shady stuff to make sure this either doesn’t work, or is under their control.

• lycanrising@lemmy.world
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

it’s not even about suing - i was reading the instance owners post about the version upgrade and it struck me that’s truly just down to random volunteers to work out tech issues. debugging malicious actions of a bigger team is just unfair.

• Paws@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Currently 2.4/5.0 on the Play Store. Wasn’t that long ago when it was around 4.0. Their rating has taken a beating over the last few weeks.

• marsokod@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Before the API pricing change, the Reddit app could be considered an internal hobby project made by a handful of employees on their spare time.

Now that this one is mandatory, it can be rated for what it is.

• kamen@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

That’s how you know that they know that the vocal minority might become a vocal majority.

• Determinator@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Can’t say I’m even remotely surprised. It’s unfortunate that even user reviews have become all but useless on most platforms due to corpo bullshit like this.

• esadatari@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

good things corporations are people too so their votes they paid for count right?

• rigatti@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

I don’t really understand what this has to do with lobbying, but sure.

• fool5cap@lemmy.world
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

I posted on another thread earlier and got an error, so pressed submit again and found it was double posted. Also, I wasn’t able to delete my duplicate comment. I’m not sure if it was an issue with the server or with the Memmy app, which I’ve started using today.

• rigatti@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

• rigatti@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

• rigatti@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

• rigatti@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

• rigatti@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        1 year ago

• esadatari@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

good things corporations are people too so their votes they paid for count right?