Edit: aaaand it’s gone. Rest in peace, little hard drive.

Every once in a while, my DS720+ warns me that there’s been a “checksum mismatch on file [ ]”, as seen in the attached screenshot. What the fuck is that supposed to mean, what do I do with this? Why is there no file name?

Some context: One of my drives seems to be failing, maybe, possibly, and I’d been getting similar checksum mismatch warnings but they’d at least include a path and filename (as far as I can tell they were all temp files). SMART data tells me there are bad clusters, but different diagnostic tools have given me different results (the Seagate tool tells me the drive is perfectly healthy). A few days ago, I removed the drive and connected it to my PC, ran chkdsk on it, no issues. I put the drive back and put some data on it that I don’t mind terribly losing to see what it’s doing now. Since then, the warnings have been less frequent but they aren’t giving me a file name anymore.

So I suspect these warnings are about that drive but now I’m out of ideas. I’m also fairly new at this stuff, bare with me. Anyone got any clues for me, please and thank you?

• bubu@feddit.deM
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Luckily, I have never run into anything like this, so I don’t have useful ideas to offer here, unfortunately. But hopefully someone else here has a clue… What RAID setup do you use (SHR, SHR2, RAID-1, …)?

• Lumidaub@feddit.deOP
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Welp, I appreciate you trying to help but in the meantime the storage pool crashed and I have to consider the drive dead now, so the issue resolved itself I guess. Pretty sure RAID was SHR, in case that’s a clue for anyone.

• bubu@feddit.deM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Oh, I’m sorry to hear that. Well, since it’s a SHR (or RAID-1), you shouldn’t have suffered date loss, right, so at least it’s merely a inconvenient thing, having to replace it, not a severe problem.

• Lumidaub@feddit.deOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Yeah, I’ll live. I would have preferred to at least first find out why it wasn’t giving me any file names but oh well. Thank you for trying to help in any case :)

• Brayd@feddit.de
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Do you have an update? DId you switch out the drive with a new one and is all your data still there or did you experience any data loss?

• Lumidaub@feddit.deOP
          link
          fedilink
          English
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I haven’t had the opportunity yet to anything with it and it might be a while, unfortunately.

• Brayd@feddit.de
            link
            fedilink
            English
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

Oh okay, but I wouldn’t wait that long because when a drive fails you should switch it as soon as possible. Running with one corrupt drive means that you have no security in case of another drive failure

• Lumidaub@feddit.deOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Definitely, I removed the drive and won’t be putting it back and I’m moving any important data elsewhere.