Apparently China is “abusing” RISC-V! I simply don’t understand the mentality. :/

• xvlc@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

China is being blamed for not wanting to pay license fees to ARM? I don’t see how you could classify that as malicious, that sounds pretty reasonable to me. Or am I overlooking something?

• Dudewitbow@lemmy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Its more or less what the other commenter says. Its likely just arm lobbying the mass adoption of Risc-V as it is its main compeitor if it takes off.

Some smaler companies already use RISC-V in their products (e.g Pine64, who has a soldering iron, laptop, tablet, watch and such running RISC-V), and some larger chip designers have it in the backlogs (e.g AMD), clearly china doesnt want to pay ARM and thy currently have the talent to design CPUs, so switching over to RISC-V overtime makes sense for them. The politicians are just using China as a scapegoat in order to protect ARM.

• 3arn0wl@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

They’re scared of losing what they perceive as their technical supremecy : RISC-V is proving itself to be a capable construct.

The interesting thing will be to see what big US business’s reaction will be : Google and Qualcomm have got some clout…

• 3arn0wl@lemmy.worldOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      edit-2
      9 months ago

I guess they think of RISC-V as a security threat because

• they can’t control it
      • they can’t annex it to exclusively make money from it and
      • because it blows the bloody doors off the protocols they do control to make money.

In other words : they perceive open source as anti-capitalist.

It was a visionary move to decamp RISC-V to Switzerland, I’d say.