Again, based on @FixedFun 's original designs so creds to them for the idea.

Thoughts about these ones? For the one on the right, I tried a different angle to hopefully give more bird and less bald man.

• Kill_joy@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Ok. I am someone who feels like kbin doesn’t really need a mascot at this point in time. It seems really early and tbh the whole thing feels a little forced. Really not into the bird design either. I just don’t get it…

But holy shit this new icon on the right has 100% changed my mind.

It is adorable and I’d put that on the first page of my phone home screen, no questions asked.

Well done.

• minnieo@kbin.socialOP
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

oh wow i didnt expect that turn around in your comment lmfao. i am so happy you guys like it, i just whipped it up expecting it to fail and was like hmm not so bad, let me send it out into the world and see. its great to see positive reactions :D

• sadreality@kbin.social
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Nice plot twist!

This is all open source so let talent do talent and let community decide.

Good “propaganda” is a must tho in digital economy and community sourced and voted product is the way to go IMHO

• Kill_joy@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

Lol this is exactly why I held my tongue for the first few of these posts. My first reaction was a pretty strong NO but I thought, let’s let this evolve organically and see what happens. Boy was my initial reaction wrong.

Really love this little guy!

• HandsHurtLoL@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It can’t be done, but I would be tickled pink if the left image was the default icon and the right image was the icon if I have notifications waiting for me. 🤣

• 2d@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

As an iOS app icon?
        As an icon on the website definitely yes, and since it’s open source, maybe somebody will disagree with you.

• valaramech@kbin.social
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I don’t know anything about iOS development. I know it’s possible to add pills to an icon if you have notifications, but I have no idea if iOS gives you the ability to change what the icon looks like. Because we’d be talking about a PWA, the tools may also be a little different.

As for browsers, I actually misremembered how favicons worked. After refreshing my memory, This is actually much less effort than I originally expected. Assuming an instance wanted to implement this, they could just change the link that defines the icon based on the currently logged in user’s number of notifications.

• paorzz@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

I thought mine had a good shot at being a mascot, but yours is amazing and so cute!

• FixedFun@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I just love it, the Kbird never looked so good, I don’t care about credit I just want the Kbird to exist one way or another

• Gooper3@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I really like both of these a whole lot, but I have to agree with most others here - the one on the right is wonderful!

• McBinary@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

The second one (right) is so much better than the previous ones. It loses the ‘bald guy’ look that the other ones have.

I still maintain that we don’t need a mascot, but… that one would be good if we need one.

• Teppic@kbin.social
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

From the comment they are talking about AwkwardTheTurtle, but I wouldn’t have known what avatar Turtle used, and even having now looked it up it’s a bit of a stretch to link this with her avatar.

• numbscroll@kbin.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

@minnieo joining the Left Twix crowd, but they are both really great! I LOVE the gradient outline in these versions compared to the pure black outline in prior.