The parent said the book forced her to discuss sexuality with her second-grade daughter.

• NewEnglandRedshirt@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

OMG, we can’t expect parents to explain to children how the world works! And explain that there are different kinds of people in it! That would be terrible

• Rhoeri@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

Imagine the questions about rape and incest that kid will have when someone reads the Bible to her.

• EvilBit@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Good news! According to about 100 million Americans, not knowing it exists means it can’t happen to you!

• activator90@lemmynsfw.com
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 year ago

Parents generally hide sexuality from the Bible. While in this case it is openly shown. I don’t think the comparison is fare, however bad the Bible is

• Swervish@lemmynsfw.com
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

Idk, seems pretty ridiculous to say “usually we skip that part, so it’s not a fair comparison”. Although I do think it’s humorously ironic that that sentiment mirrors the “pick and choose” Christianity that’s typical of (at least) American Christianity currently.

• Col3814444@lemmy.world
    cake
    B
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    1 year ago

It is a well known fact that if children under 60 ever learn of the existence of gay people, they get cancer. Or something.

• Flying Squid@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

This is what they do for fun. They don’t even realize it. This is their entertainment. They get off on being angry.

• Riskable@programming.dev
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

“The right for me to decide when my child learned about this topic…”

WTF‽ You have no such right! As much as they’d wish it no parent has the right or the power to prevent their children from learning things. Especially factual things!

This means that the best you can do as a parent is to prepare your child for the real world by telling them about all the things. Preferably with facts and not religious bullshit.

Religious people hate that their kids are being exposed to LGBTQ stuff outside of home because it normalizes it. When their kids see LGBTQ people on occasion and nothing at all happens as a result this flies in the face of religious teachings that these people are evil. It might have the kid start questioning the religion! “If the religion is wrong about that maybe it’s wrong about other things…” The horror!

I know that when my kids go online they very well could be exposed to all sorts of nasty things from red pill nonsense to Nazi propaganda to cult recruiting. The best I can do is prepare them for those things by showing them right from wrong in clear, ethical logic and reason.

I teach them about the history of religion and how propaganda works. This not only inoculates them from general bullshit it also makes them less likely to fall victim to scams and become a victim of people abusing their authority.

That’s the thing, isn’t it? If you teach kids what propaganda looks like and how people are often manipulated by figures of authority it not only makes them excellent critical thinkers it makes them question religion. Because what keeps religion going? Propaganda, indoctrination, and abuse of authority!

Want to drastically increase the likelihood of your children falling victim to scams, being sexually abused, and generally being awful people? Regularly put them in churches and place them in the hands of other religious institutions!