cross-posted from: https://sh.itjust.works/post/681066

By “here” I mean all of the Fediverse, but more specifically sh.itjust.works; I don’t want to cause any bad vibes in my new home instance.

I don’t NORMALLY post, and I’m limiting my access to Reddit in favor of Lemmy, but if stealing from the rich is acceptable, I’m happy to occasionally Robin Hood content over; I just prefer my theft to be within prevailing ethical guidelines.

Thanks!

• JollyTheRancher@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

I obviously can’t speak for anyone but myself, but, I think any non-original content is fair game. Like, I’d be against you copying posts from /r/AITA, but taking posts from /r/science? I’m in favor of it.

• JollyTheRancher@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I think I’d rather people who create memes or cat videos weigh in on that - it’s not something that would bother me, but, I’m not a content creator.

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.techOPM
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

meme templates are meant to be shared by thier very nature. If someone makes a meme and then expects to “own” its distrubution…it won’t be a meme.

• manitcor@lemmy.intai.techOPM
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

we are still dealing with sync issues, I replied to your main thread earlier today, some people see it, but I dont when viewing from that instance. Growing pains.

Post was:

“depends, a lot of whats on reddit came from elsewhere, sometimes from years before. I dont feel any need to credit reddit for anything like that I grab, if its new and a post unique to the site, I bring it over as an ARCHIVE and link it.”

I often repost things to my Meta sub to inform the users coming over to our little corner. Things like “what folks think about reposting reddit content” very relevant, and ty!