• Covoid@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Dear Tech CEOs

I do not want to see an advertisement. Ever.

I will pay a reasonable amount of money to NOT see fucking advertisements.

Stop trying to commodify my attention. I have the attention span of a meth’d up squirrel. It’s not worth all that much.

I’d rather buy a worse TV than put up with your ‘Free’ ad spewing garbage.

• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Ilya Pozin, the CEO of a TV startup called Telly, has a plan to take over your living room.

Pluto’s big idea, back in 2013, was that people might not want to pay for streaming services forever and that someone should come in and build an ad-based network that could capture all those viewers.

On The Vergecast, for the first episode in our miniseries about how technology connects us with our stuff, each other, and the world, we talked with Pozin about Telly’s ambitions to reinvent the TV market and why he’s convinced that ad-supported hardware is the future.

“We would fall on our nose, we would fail.” People buy TVs based on price and almost nothing else, he says, which is why all those manufacturers skimp everywhere they can to make the set a few dollars cheaper.

We’re just very upfront and transparent about it.” Telly reserves the right to get its TV back if you’re not using it or otherwise violate its terms, but the company’s whole thesis is that this is a much more fair trade.

Pozin says hundreds of thousands of people have already signed up to get a Telly and that the company is hard at work on software and integrations to make the TV more than your average dumb screen.

The original article contains 729 words, the summary contains 216 words. Saved 70%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!

• ChrisLicht@lemm.ee
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

Here’s my new business model:

Meet Blokke - a beautifully bias-cut rectangle of exquisitely opaque cloth that exactly matches the dimensions of the Telly sub-screen.

• RBG
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    9 months ago

I saw “ad-supported hardware” in the summary comment and already know I am going to nope the fuck out of this.