• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

In a victory for privacy advocates and consumers, the California governor Gavin Newsom signed a bill that would enable residents to request that their personal information be deleted from the coffers of all the data brokers in the state.

The bill, SB 362, otherwise known as the Delete Act, was introduced in April 2023 by the state senator Josh Becker in an attempt to give Californians more control over their privacy.

While proponents of the bill have lauded it as a less tedious and more user-friendly way to reinforce existing California privacy laws, many advertising companies have argued it would undermine their industry.

Those companies buy and sell consumer information such as location, address, online activity and more to various clients including law enforcement.

“Absent this data, smaller enterprises will lose a critical path to reach and attract new customers, and consumers overall will have less exposure to new products and services that may interest them,” a group of ad trade bodies wrote in a letter first reported by Adweek.

The Delete Act “will improve everyone’s privacy rights and make California’s consumer privacy laws more user-friendly, while also strengthening current California law that requires data brokers to register with the state”, said Hayley Tsukayama, the associate director of legislative activism at digital rights group the Electronic Frontier Foundation.

The original article contains 642 words, the summary contains 218 words. Saved 66%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!