• altz3r0@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 年前

If you think Edge is a bust, I got news for you: if you are using Windows, pretty much everything spies on you now days. :)

• chaorace@lemmy.sdf.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

Every year that goes by, the less my colleagues give funny looks when I talk about being a Linux user. These days it’s more often envy – my default browser never changes, I can put my start menu wherever I like, my hard-drive never spontaneously encrypts itself, my user account never deletes and replaces itself with an always-online doppleganger. These statements are somehow impressive brags and that amuses me greatly.

• reka@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

To anyone who used Linux once upon a time and got scared off - try it again. Nowadays so much works without any config, driver support is so much better and, at least with my last year using Fedora, it’s incredibly stable.

And if you get stuck, ChatGPT is so good at helping you through the experience. Also, IMO, once you spend a week or so to get used to Gnome desktop environment it’s better than both windows and macos.

• interolivary@beehaw.org
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 年前

I really wouldn’t tell anyone to rely on ChatGPT for technical support. It’s fine if you already sort of know what you’re doing, but it has a tendency to “lie” very convincingly and come up with either broken or even potentially harmful solutions

• scheissberg@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

“Never enhance images for these sites:”

Shares list of sites to never enhance images for with Microsoft

Parkour!

• honk@feddit.de
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

I shouldn’t have to be a lucky mf that stumbles upon an article by coincidence that explains how to configure his web browser to not send pictures I look at across the atlantic ocean without my knowledge. WTF is going on.

• Feydaikin@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

Never did. I am reminded of the whole “Embrace, extend, and extinguish” tactic they use(d).

It’s pretty brutal.

• ramskulls@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

I adopted Edge when it started out as a more lightweight Chrome. After that I eventually just got used to it, like a frog being slow-cooked? And now I find it hard to leave, even though it’s gotten more and more bloated. Edge has a really nice text to speech feature with natural voices that I use a lot. I’ve read a lot of books in the two years I’ve been using edge. If I could find an alternative with that feature that was also cross-platform I would gladly switch in a heartbeat.

• ResidualBit@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 年前

I think it is a lot of the latter at this point, tbh. Non tech-savvy folks that don’t even think about the browser software at all, let alone know there are other options or seek them out.

• aMalayali@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      1 年前

Edge is/was(have read that windows fixed some defender issue) slightly faster than firefox.

• aMalayali@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          edit-2
          1 年前

I’ve used Chrome(Haven’t yet tried Ungoogled Chromium on PC. Have used Bromite in the past). It didn’t seem much faster.

Chrome generally felt faster on google services like Meet tho.

• realslef@fedia.io
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 年前

Not much faster, no. Still the same core, just fewer compulsory extensions like this Snoopy one.

• benad@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

It’s only in the Canary version for now.

Although the feature sounds exciting, recent Microsoft Edge Canary updates have provided more information on how image enhancement works.

• zauberin@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 年前

Edge has always been terrifying to me, the recommended sharing options are crazy and have been since the start