• Son_of_dad@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

And after killing half my country to keep the Reds away, now Republicans suck Putin dick.

• moshtradamus666@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    arrow-down
    ·
    9 months ago

They don’t care about our democracy as long as we keep selling our resources for pennies and buying their overpriced shit.

• angrymouse@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Now is China, and even so USA keeps helping coups attempts, but I know, we don’t mess with traditions.

link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        9 months ago

Nah, dude is different. USA put people who are loyal to them and don’t give a fuck about their own country. China support rebellions against leaders loyal to colonizers. Sure, the new rebel powers will be their allies, but these people in power want to take care of their own. Don’t know where you’re from, but Brazil had some really dark times during our fascist military dictatorship and all of that happened with the excuse of protecting us of from communism.

• Zev@slrpnk.net
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            9 months ago

Don’t listen to moshtradamus666 😭

I think 🤔 he’s on drugs…

• ProdigalFrog@slrpnk.netOP
              link
              fedilink
              English
              arrow-up
              arrow-down
              ·
              edit-2
              9 months ago

I have done extensive research on the history of China, and there is absolutely nothing redeeming about their government. This is not a case of ‘USA Bad, maybe China good and we only think it’s bad because of western propaganda?’, it’s a case of both sides committing terrible atrocities, whether to their own people or people in other countries.

Just because we shouldn’t believe western propaganda doesn’t mean we should believe Chinese or Russian or North Korean propaganda. China is an authoritarian regime with extreme suppression of personal freedoms and expression, Russia is a mafia state of oligarchic psychopaths creating a depressing hellscape of corruption and societal decay, and North Korea is a government of extremely wealthy and frankly insane elites running the most animal-farm system of oppression possible.

All of the media that paints the Chinese government in a favorable light is generally constructed by the Chinese government itself.

If China was so great, the clamping of freedoms and deportation of journalists to the mainland from Hong Kong would not have happened. They essentially have a 1984 thought police, there’s no fucking way that side is somehow ‘good guy’ in all this.

Also just…Bro, the Tiananmenn Square aftermath pictures should be more than enough to write them off. They literally erased that day from their history books, and those who remember it are scared shitless to even talk about it.

link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                arrow-down
                ·
                9 months ago

What’s the point of having all this freedom and having such a big problem with homelessness? Are people addicted to opioids free? How about Skidrow, slab city? How about ICE? How about Hiroshima? How about Vietnam? How about the freedom to be a fucking n*zi? USA is a sick country that makes global politics based on military threats and sanctions. China has been a much better ally and commercial partner to my country in the last 30 years than USA in almost a century. One of the many examples: during the 50s our then president made deals with American car brands so they would make cars and sell it here, even with many tax benefits and government funds they imposed a bullshit deal clause that made our government promise not to invest railroads for decades. We suffer the consequences of this shitty deal to this day, our country is almost as big as USA and almost all of our goods are transported by trucks in very expensive to maintain roads. My country has one of the highest numbers of road accidents and a serious drug problem with truck drivers who need to drive long ours. Also, as I said before and I’ll say it again: USA supported ALL fascist military dictatorships in south America. Taking all that in consideration there is very clear worse for me, and it’s not China.

• ProdigalFrog@slrpnk.netOP
                  link
                  fedilink
                  English
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  edit-2
                  9 months ago

What’s the point of having all this freedom and having such a big problem with homelessness?

First, China has 5 times as many homeless people as the US (it’s higher per-capita in the US, but the total amount is much less, and I’m not saying the US doesn’t have a homeless problem, it does, but so does China).

Second, the idea that it is preferable to give up all freedoms of speech, political thought, activism, etc in exchange for housing is truly dystopian, neither of those options are good.

Are people addicted to opioids free?

The US opioid crisis is a combination of many factors, partially due to big pharma getting millions hooked on supposedly ‘non-addictive’ opioids, as well it being wildly profitable to smuggle fentanyl into the country, a complete failure to respond adequately to the issue on almost every front, and it doesn’t help that we’re bordering a country that is virtually controlled by drug cartels, to the great suffering of their people as well.

Are drug addicts free? They’re certainly beholden to their addiction, but at least it’s possible to avoid drugs, where as the rest of the population is still far more politically free than ALL citizens of China.

Are the Uyghurs free in China? Are the underclass of workers forced to work like slaves to the point of some companies needing to put up suicide nets around their building free? Were the Tianenmen Square protestors turned to mush by tanks and washed down the drains free?

China has been a much better ally and commercial partner to my country in the last 30 years than USA in almost a century.

You know what? I’m actually sure that’s true. But just because they’ve been economically beneficial to your country doesn’t mean they aren’t morally fucked themselves.

USA supported ALL fascist military dictatorships in south America. Taking all that in consideration there is very clear worse for me, and it’s not China.

Yes! The US did completely fuck any chance of South America from thriving. the US government really IS an evil force on many parts of the world, but please do not make a black & white decision that China isn’t that bad either, they’re a good trading partner, many countries have created deep economic ties with them, including the US, but if they could take the US’s place and swing their dick around politically, they absolutely would.

If you do nothing else, please, just watch the Tiananmen Square video I linked.

• LibertyLizard@slrpnk.net
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

A sequence of events I can’t seem to figure out how to prevent.

Is this in reference to anything particularly recent? The media usually doesn’t cover these very well.

• AggressivelyPassive@feddit.de
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      9 months ago

Allende in Chile, for example. Argentina, Brasil, Uruguay got support for their torture programs. Nicaragua brought Oli North to the surface, Grenada even got a full-blown invasion for having the audacity to be slightly left leaning.

Cuba also got its bay of pigs and several assassination attempts, but admittedly, Castro wasn’t exactly elected - though the dictator he ousted was supported by the US.

• LibertyLizard@slrpnk.net
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        9 months ago

Oh yeah I know about the history. I was wondering if there was a recent one I’d missed but sounds like no thankfully.

• somethingsnappy@lemmy.world
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              9 months ago

No, because we usually don’t find out until there is a leak or it is declassified. I had long conversation with a policy friend last weekend trying to figure out which countries the US didn’t undermine at then highest level in the middle east. It started with Iran and Iraq, and ended up with hmmmm… how much of the Arab spring were we part of and how will it make things 10x worse again.

• Blackmist@feddit.uk
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

I can’t fucking believe that Henry Kissinger is still alive.

Proof right there that all the religious folks are wrong.