Bonus points if they are super retro ideas of the future internet like in front mission 3.

• starrox@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

It can become tedious quickly if it isnt done absolutely perfect imo.

I remember Fallout computers to be one of the implementations of such a system that I disliked most. Repetitive “hacking”, then reading some text snippets that could’ve easily fit on a note or sth else. While it does add to the atmosphere, it doesnt add anything good to my (personal opinion ofc) gaming experience.

I can only think of two examples right now where I liked it: Deus Ex all parts(because it is just very thematically fitting) and GTA (because of the satire its actually very entertaining).

• frozen@lemmy.frozeninferno.xyz
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

.hack for the PS2, where the Internet was just an application called “The World” that you launched from a desktop. Damn, need to play that again.

Edit: I missed the image in the post originally, had no idea I was literally copying OP, lol. My bad.

• GraceGH@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I’m still holding out for the remake that won’t ever happen. I really like the ./hack series but the combat in 1-4 is really clunky, even for something that’s pretending to be a tab target MMO. Dual daggers will forever be my favorite character weapon archetype though.

• Cptmurphy616@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I miss the .hack universe. Surprisingly, one of few anime/JRPGs I ever got into. Sword Art didn’t do it for me. I hope it gets revived at some point.

• Brody Brooks@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Something I continually think about is how Doom 3 showed us a world where you can have a first-person game that seamlessly has you controlling a mouse cursor on in-world computer screens, and it saddens me that nobody picked up that baton.

Best feature in that whole game.

• iusearchbtw@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I haven’t played Doom 3, but it sounds very similar to what Prey 2017 has - all the computers in the game have (in-universe) touch input, so you can use them just by pressing the interact key while looking at a display. You can even fire rubber-tipped foam darts at screens to trigger a click in the spot where the dart hit!

• LoamImprovement@beehaw.org
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

Indeed. It’s arguably the best, and in some cases the only way to get behind security booths and the like when you’re doing a no-neuromods run, because you don’t have access to mimic or hacking.

The dart also makes a fun ‘squeak’ noise when it hits something, great for occupying enemies.

• Bad Sector@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think it has to do with the feature not working as seamlessly with controllers - or at least developers believing so anyway. The original Xbox port of Doom 3 had the camera zoom in to a panel where you were near it and IIRC the BFG edition has the controller slow down a bit in some panels.

There are a couple of FPS games that had similar in-game UIs, though they aren’t as big profile as Doom 3. I bought Exodus from the Earth some time recently and the game has a lot of in-game UIs that use a similar seamless control.

• sailsperson@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I think of that every time I see a cursor following my mouse in an FPS game.

And at the moment, I struggle to remember anything besides the tiny resemblance of that in Cyberpunk 2077 lol

• yukichigai@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Best feature in that whole game.

Seconded. I loved that game but that part of it honestly blew me away.

• Anestoh@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

Can’t get enough of this. I remember really loving the fake DOS mode that Enter the Matrix had. You could unlock cheats for the game or look at little hidden videos and things. It was fairly elaborate for a little gimmick.

• yokonzo@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Memory unlocked. Though using cheats through that most certainly crash the game, you just didn’t know when it would happen. I remember using infinite ammo with the smoke grenade gun like halfway through before the game finally crapped out

• bermuda@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

both Hacknet and Uplink (unrealistic but fun hacking games) had this, although Hacknet’s is more modern by nearly 15 years. I think I liked uplink’s more though.

• awfulsystems@beehaw.org
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

nobody believes me because it’s the funny game with the pi pi pi pizza, but hypnospace is my favorite modern example of cyberpunk as a genre. can’t wait for dreamsettler

• janeshep@feddit.it
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

One of my first interactions with an in-game fantasy computer GUI was Final Fantasy VIII. You had this newsletter you could read on the Balamb Garden’s computers, or take the SeeD exams to improve your grade. Was really neato.

• Cas@pawb.social
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Fun fact, .hack’s Altimit OS was very heavily based on the early previews for Square Enix’s PlayOnline Viewer, with nearly every feature lifted direct from it (Email, News, BBS/Chat, Wallpaper/BGM selection). Also interesting ya mention Front Mission since Front Mission Online ran via PlayOnline Viewer. :)

• yuun@lemmy.one
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Oh 100% I love this aesthetic. The newer Deus Ex games come to mind immediately, but yeah. The tablets in Hi-Fi Rush are also kinda cool, if less involved.

just love me some rifling through open desktops though 👍

• nine@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Tired of real UI can’t wait to go home and look at fake UI. I like how SHENZEN I/O takes place on a computer, kind of. You get “quests” by checking your email lol.

• JerkyIsSuperior@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

What about games inside of games? I remember hunkering down in some random medibay in System Shock 2 to play some OverWorld Zero on my GamePig.

• winter@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Sorta related, I love the walki talkies in Phasmaphobia. It really adds another level of immersion.

• chris@fedia.io
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Oil Imperium. At some stage there was an Atari ST desktop you opened up icons on (I was playing the ST version). I believe the Amiga version had an Amiga desktop instead.

• Ackart@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Extremely excited for Jagged Alliance 3, mainly just because I wanna play with that computer interface again