• Thirdnipple79@lemmy.caOPM
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Really? Why is that? Guy has had a ton of success. The rangers have a ton of talent and underperformed last year. This should help.

• atp2112@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        edit-2
        1 year ago

The big criticism I heard with Gallant is that he was stubborn when it came to playing the young talent beyond a fourth line “grind line” role. Having watched Lavy’s roster decisions in DC, you’ll find his use of the young guys… familiar.

• 佐藤カズマ@lemmy.world
        link
        fedilink
        arrow-up
        ·
        1 year ago

I’m not a fan of his tenure in Washington. The Caps being my other team, I was extremely underwhelmed with Washington’s performance during his time in DC.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

That’s fair. It definitely wasn’t his best 3 years, but I think it’s also partly because of where the caps are - just like the penguins they are on a downturn. I think he’ll do better in New York. At the very least a step up from gallant.

• epyon22@lemmy.one
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            edit-2
            1 year ago

Yeah wrong time for any coach on the caps. I also think management was overriding some of his decisions in order to get ovi goals and backy back on the ice. Didn’t help much. The team I saw Nov to Dec, before Wilson and backstrom were back playing, dominated. They shifted a bunch of talent back to Hershey though.

link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

I might as well start the controversial opinions. I was hoping the leafs would get him and replace keefe. I can’t watch another year of us doing the exact same thing.

link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          1 year ago

I think the jets are about to enter a rebuild. You guys might want to hire Gallant and prepare the tank o7 o7 o7

• girlfreddy@lemmy.ca
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            1 year ago

We’ll see soon enough. I’m just pissed Chevy is still driving the bus after 13 yrs with nothing to show for it.

If we have a rebuild coming it should’ve started with him.

link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              1 year ago

Basically, the Leafs haven’t been much different the last 4 years. We haven’t accomplished any more than the Jets, but we keep trying the same thing. We keep adding talent and getting nowhere.

I don’t follow the Jets as close as the Leafs, but I don’t think you guys were the same team after Buff left. I think trading Laine for PLD was a mistake - should have been for someone to replace Buff on the backend. That being said, nobody is paying me millions to GM a team, so that opinion could be completely wrong.

• girlfreddy@lemmy.ca
                link
                fedilink
                arrow-up
                ·
                1 year ago

Buff was the heart, soul and glue for the Jets … and his loss was devastating. Never mind the fact that 3.5 yrs later and the team has done sfa to honour him … absolutely nothing. That says a shit ton about what head office is like.

Chevy should have been gone when the Chicago shit hit the fan. How Bettman let him off is beyond me. Maybe Chipman was in on that.

PLD for Laine was good at the time. Laine wanted to be a star, so working as a group was making him miserable. He asked to be traded, although I’m fairly certain he wasn’t happy when he found out he’d be playing under Torts.

Replacing Buff is impossible because he is irreplaceable. There’s just no one like him with the speed, power, ability to play any and every position, game smarts and the inner strength that kept the team laughing through some crappy times.

link
                  fedilink
                  arrow-up
                  ·
                  1 year ago

I agree that PLD for Laine was a reasonable trade and made sense at the time. I know that you aren’t going to replace Buff. My opinion is totally hindsight, but I think if you went back and traded Laine for a strong #1 D the Jets would be in a different place right now.

And totally agree that it’s surprising how long of a leash Chevy had. I feel like most teams would rather keep the devil they know vs making a large change. Having someone under you who isn’t performing keeps the spotlight on them, but replacing that person puts the spotlight on you if they can’t perform any better.

• namesare4squares@sh.itjust.works
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    edit-2
    1 year ago

NYR fan checking in. Get your bingo cards ready.

I just really hope to see our young guys develop, and I’m not overly confident Lavi is the guy for the job. Hope he proves me wrong.