TL;DR: YouTube sends a Cease and Desist email to the Invidious team for API abuse (even though they don’t use the API.)

Source

I also want to point out (since nobody else has) that YT has done shenanigans like this in the past. Invidious is not going down without a fight.

Reply to the GitHub issue from NewPipe offering Legal help

UPDATE

As of 2 weeks ago, Google has begun blocking multiple instances from accessing their services. This also includes my own instance and appears to be done alongside the C&D. (Note: I have not received one yet.) I’m currently playing whack & mole with Google and will be moving between several different servers. Some others are going through IPv6 addresses (which didn’t work for me.)

• squarewagon@lemmy.fmhy.ml
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    1 year ago

Aw man. This is how I watch YouTube videos :(

I love these privacy-friendly front ends for big tech websites. I guess it was only a matter of time before Go.ogle started fighting Invidious/Piped instances.

If you haven’t already checkout the plugin called “Privacy Redirect” for Chrome/Firefox. There’s also an android app version called UntrackMe (I think?). They basically intercept YouTube/Twitter/Reddit links and redirect them to privacy-friendly instances.

• valth@lemmy.fmhy.ml
      link
      fedilink
      English
      arrow-up
      ·
      1 year ago

Freetube is already broken for me. I only use it as a centralized following channels plataform (to get the updates from the channels i follow) and then get the indivious link and open it in the browser!