• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

The United States has deployed a second aircraft carrier to the Mediterranean “to deter hostile actions against Israel or any efforts toward widening this war”, as residents of Gaza City fled south to escape an imminent Israeli ground attack in response to a murderous rampage by Hamas last weekend.

The US defence secretary, Lloyd Austin, said late on Saturday that the presence of the USS Eisenhower and its affiliated warships in the eastern Mediterranean signalled Washington’s “ironclad commitment to Israel’s security and our resolve to deter any state or non-state actor seeking to escalate this war”.

The Israel Defence Forces (IDF) said on Sunday that Ali Qadi, a commander in Hamas’s elite Nukhba unit who oversaw the attack on Kibbutz Nirim, was killed in a strike on the southern town of Khan Younis.

Blinken said he was also trying to ensure the conflict did not spread, on a day when Iran’s foreign minister warned that Israel would suffer an earthquake if his country’s ally, the Hezbollah movement in Lebanon, became involved.

The US president, Joe Biden, spoke to the Israeli prime minister, Benjamin Netanyahu, on the phone on Saturday and “affirmed his support for all efforts to protect civilians”, the White House said in a statement, which did not specifically mention Gaza.

“President Biden discussed with prime minister Netanyahu US coordination with the United Nations, Egypt, Jordan, Israel and others in the region to ensure innocent civilians have access to water, food and medical care,” the White House said.

The original article contains 1,264 words, the summary contains 249 words. Saved 80%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!