• AutoTL;DR@lemmings.worldB
    link
    fedilink
    English
    arrow-up
    ·
    9 months ago

This is the best summary I could come up with:

Julian Wakeford agrees with the 460,000 petition signatories wanting to axe Wales’ new law lowering built-up area speed limits to 20mph.

Wales was the first UK nation to lower speed limits in built-up areas to 20mph last month and I’m travelling up the Rhondda Fawr valley from Pontypridd up to Treherbert - which is without its train line to Cardiff which is shut until the new year - for a snapshot of reaction from the public.

The Conservatives, in Westminster and Wales, have called it “insane” and a “war on motorists” and the Welsh Labour government’s own consultation found more were against it than for it.

This is where councils have successfully argued there are not significant numbers of pedestrians and cyclists “travelling along or across” that part of road or are not “mixing” with traffic.

Her husband Steve broadly supports the change, although he does say people who commute to Cardiff, Swansea and Newport have to leave half an hour earlier “because there’s so much traffic going down the valley.”

What I’ve found talking to people here, there are mixed reactions and some remain to be convinced while others are shrugging their shoulders and moving on, albeit a bit more slowly.

The original article contains 1,045 words, the summary contains 202 words. Saved 81%. I’m a bot and I’m open source!