• HelloThere@sh.itjust.works
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Either

• cos they are just trying to burn it down and make a quick quid for their mates
      • it’s genuinely a fault in the voting line and they have realised they’ll manage to cling on to power

I can’t decide which makes me angrier.

• echo64@lemmy.world
      cake
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

He’s setting up him and his friends for jobs in banking and oil once he loses to a disastrous (for tories) labour majority in early 2025

• IndiBrony@lemmy.world
        cake
        link
        fedilink
        English
        arrow-up
        arrow-down
        ·
        8 months ago

We voted for Brexit. Don’t underestimate our ability to vote in these cunts again.

• echo64@lemmy.world
          cake
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

Oh sure, but also I’m just going on what seems to actually be happening. He’s losing should-never-lose battles. I’m more worried that farages new fasicist and popularist party will get too much power rather than the tories. Tories are kind of just dead in the water now

• gmtom@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

He knows his party is fucked so he’s trying to do favours for his mates in the oil industry while he still can

• HowManyNimons@lemmy.world
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

Makes me fucking livid. They don’t pretend it’s for anyone’s good any more: they just nakedly wreck shit for political gain. Pepperidge Farm remembers when these shitters used to try and justify their awfulness.

• Rambi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      ·
      8 months ago

It is basically guaranteed that he has lost the next election so he is just frantically throwing everything at the wall to see if anything sticks

• 9point6@lemmy.world
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

I’m nothing like a royalist or anything, but Charles isn’t gonna like that given his involvement in environmental causes.

• Rambi@lemm.ee
      link
      fedilink
      arrow-up
      arrow-down
      ·
      edit-2
      8 months ago

I’m pretty sure Charles is the “we need to sterilise the poor so they can’t breed because the world is over populated” kind of environmentalist that also supports fox hunting. At least that’s the only kind environmentalist British aristocrats tend to be.

• silence7@slrpnk.netOPM
          link
          fedilink
          arrow-up
          ·
          8 months ago

The Prime Minister is something like speaker of the house plus the non-ceremonial parts of being President rolled up in one.

• PlasterAnalyst@kbin.social
            link
            fedilink
            arrow-up
            ·
            8 months ago

Yeah, but it’s a tiny island nation. Barely the size of a u.s. state. They lost any power they had when they left the eu.

• silence7@slrpnk.netOPM
              link
              fedilink
              arrow-up
              ·
              8 months ago

It’s larger than most US states in terms of area, and bigger than California in terms of population, with a similarly-sized economy. That’s big enough to still matter.

• interolivary@beehaw.org
    link
    fedilink
    arrow-up
    ·
    8 months ago

It’s fairly clear at this point that conservatism and conservatives are an existential threat.

It’s unfortunate that right-wing parties will likely get more and more popular the worse things get as people tend to flock to populists in times of crisis, and I don’t know about other countries but here in Finland the under-25’s are actually more conservative than eg. millennials or gen X – in this year’s parliamentary elections ~30% of them voted for either an extremist right wing party that has a nontrivial amount of literal neo-Nazis in it, or the “fiscally conservative” party which isn’t much better (and has a bit of a revolving door with the extremists).